Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AUTOLOADER NOT RECOGNIZED VERITAS 9.1 NETWARE 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

holaquetal

Technical User
Sep 13, 2005
ES
Hello, we are trying to install a IBM 3581 L28 library in netware 6 server with Veritas 9.1 installed on. We can see the drive unit (3580) but not the library, we have installed LEO.
Thanks.

Does SBCON identify the device correctly?
Also, I seem to remember an issue I had where the library's SCSI address had to be higher than the drive unit's SCSI address. e.g. unit at address 2, library at address 4.

Thanks for your answer because I´m really in troubles, I see the drive in scsi id 6 lun 0 and the library in scsi id 6 lun 1. I can see it in bios and in the web admin tool of the server but veritas cannot see the library, only the drive.
Thanks a lot again.

Personally I don't use LUNs unless I have to.
It sounds like you don't have the library drivers correct. I have seen Netware identify devices that have no drivers loaded. Get on the server console and enter SBCON. This is the native backup software that ships with Netware. Go into Device Administration and it should show you both the library and the drive. If SBCON can't see it the drivers are wrong and no 3rd party app will be able to work it.

I fought this battle with an Overland LoaderExpress library. The drive it used was a Sony and drivers were available, but I could never find drivers for the library itself and ended up using it as a single tape loader.

Oh, if SBCON doesn't see the library bring this issue to the Novell: Netware 6.x forum here at Tek-Tips and maybe someone can help you out.

Thanks again LawnBoy, IBM hasn´t drivers for Netware for the library, do you know if is posible that Veritas load the driver without having the driver installed on Netware. Thanks.

No. Netware will have to run the drivers, since it runs the controller.

If the manufacturer doesn't have the drivers it's unlikely anybody else will. Are you positive IBM makes that library and isn't repackaging one made by another manuf? That could be why IBM doesn't have the drivers...

Much as I hate to suggest it, you could hook that deck to a Windows box and remote backup from there. I know that means buying another version of BE but frequently that's cheaper than buying another backup deck.

Sorry for the bad news.

Couple of things to check for..

1. Make sure Multi-LUN support is enabled on the SCSI card for ID 6.
2. Make sure you have a lun_enable=ff or /lun switch when loading the SCSI card (these are for adaptec cards) check for other types of cards.

If that is all OK, do a list storage adapters - does it show devices ie. the drive and robot?

I just went through the same scenario with a Quantum on a 6.5 box.
Basically, I needed to run hdetect and manually load drivers for the SCSI card AND the loader. For the auto loader I used the Netware Native driver for a DLT loader, since I couldn't find one for the LTO on Quantum's website. I am testing throughput now to see if it will affect anything.
After that, I ran "scan all Luns" at the console to see if it picked up all the new devices and it did. I still needed a reboot for Backup Exec to pick it up, but it does work at this time.

sal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back