Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

autoforward on exchange 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJT1

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2001
AU
I must be missing something really obvious here...

I've got exchange 5.5 and I want to redirect all messages with a particular subject (received fax) from the administrator mailbox to another mailbox. The only way I can see to do this as a rule in the outlook client for the mailbox I'm trying to forward from. Problem with this is outlook needs to be running for this to work. As we are talking round the cloak faxes this won't work.
As I say I must be missing something big here as exchange 5.5 seems to have no function for setting up conditional autoforwards on the server.

Not that I am aware of with just a standard rule no (but I'm not aware of too much).

One way you could do it however would be to open the mailbox in an Outlook client and configure Out Of Office Assistant with a rule to forward messages with a specific header. This would not require the Outlook Client to be open but you would have to put up with the message box that asks you if you wish to turn off OoO whenever you went into the Administrators mailbox.

HTH

Some rules require the client to be open, some don't. When you create the rule, it will tell you if cannot support it on the server side and will only work on the client side.

Things like Permenant Delete will NOT work on the server side (if I remember well), but if you just forward the message and move it to another folder then it should be ok. You must then go in every so often and empty out the folder. You can do so from the Exchange Admin also by purging emails older than such and such a date.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Thanks, moving to a seperate folder worked.

Just a thought but have you looked at Exchange server side scripting here's a site that will give you some examples and uses.
The difference between scripting and routing and some other approaches to automatically processing items is that scripts and routing objects operate entirely on the server. It is not necessary for any client machines to be logged in. Because no user interface is involved, Event Service scripts should always have error-handling and can display neither Outlook items nor message or input boxes. Other limitations and considerations are discussed in the MSKB article Suitable Applications for Exchange Server Event Scripting.
Ref:
Hope that helps/ is of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back