Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

autoformat cells in MS Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

dw027

Technical User
Dec 10, 2001
US
I have a macro to open all cells to appropriate height before printing to pdf for leader review (yes they are stuck in paper world).

My issue is on inserted projects that tab over.. e.g. different levels of outline.

Macro counts characters in cell and divides by width to set row height.. works great until the later levels of outline.

Any one know how to read / count for levels to include in code?

Your time is appreciated.

PD

hi,

"inserted projects"???

The Task Object has Outline Indent/Outdent Methods, but NOT the Project Object.

What are you referring to?

If Task, indeed, then check the Tack Object Methods & Properities, where you can READ & WRITE the indent level.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Program Alpha (13 characters)
Project one (11 characters)
subproject
part one of subproject
task (4 characters)
task
task
Project two subproject
part two of subproject
task
task
task

Assume colum width is six (and ignore wrap at space)
ID 1 is 3 rows high
ID 2 is 2 rows high
...ID5 is 1 row high (4/6.. and the words don't show up)

I worded this question differently and posted full macro in MS Project forum here in Tek-Tips.

I don't care whether you call your TASK "Project X" or "Tooth Fairy 88", the OBJECT is a TASK and can be manipulated via the Task Methods & Properties.

Have you checked that out?

Skip,
[sub]

Hmm that is new to me. I see if I open Visual Basic the Object Browser.. classes (task) Members of task (outlineCode 1-- 10)

How can I pull that information for a specific Task?

My skill level is record a macro figure out what it says I did and tweak to what I want.

So what does, "does not take into consideration of the tabbed tasks for inserted projects" mean?

What ACTUALLY happens?

What do you want to happen?

Skip,
[sub]

I would love to paste a picture from snipping tool.. attach a file does not work for me..

Going back to my second response.. I would like ID 5 the word task to be visible in the cell

We hold the view to specific column widths so the boss can see the text on one page wide and all words in cell visible.

The macro is an attempt to automate setting row height where the verbiage can be seen without manually reviewing the currently 2000 plus lines.

My thought was number of characters in a cell (object) divided by set width of column. The way I have it written it counts the word task as four.. so 4/6 = 1 and it only shows one row.
Problem then is if you look at the cell in new view is not wrapped as needed to read text.

0% Release X
0% Project A
0% Pre-Planning A
0% M3 (BRD work)
0% M3 (BRD
0% M3 (B

It is not clear:

What is the NOW state and what is the TO BE state?

Skip,
[sub]

Now state can be any view and any column width through the various inserted projects. Each project has it's own team driving. The To Be state is a full Program view of all projects and tasks in a hard copy view.

first step of macro is to set columns to the same alignment and width.

Second step is go through and expand row height to show all verbiage with out concantenation.

Please look at macro posted at "Calculate indention tabs in character count?"
I think the comments in coding explain it better..

Your other post is printed out on my desk.

I state AGAIN, it is not clear what the before and after state of your TASK text values are.

PLEASE post EXAMPLES that explicitly demonstrate BOTH.

Also, what Table Object/View is your code using?

Skip,
[sub]

I cannot post pictures can we go off line? I can do web connect

I'm just guessing.

BEFORE:
[tt]
0% Release X
0% Project A
0% Pre-Planning A
0% M3 (BRD work)
0% M3 (BRD
0% M3 (B
[/tt]
AFTER:
[tt]
0% Release X
0% Project A
0% Pre-Planning A
0% M3 (BRD work)
0% M3 (BRD
0% M3 (B
[/tt]
Is that somewhat representative, or am I way out in left field?

Skip,
[sub]

before would or could be

0% Release X
0% Project A
0% Pre-Planning A
0% M3 (BRD work)
0% M3 BRD part one
0% M3 BRD part one step one
0% M3 BRD part one step
two
0% M3 BRD part one step three

before can be however it was left by project manager.. so the purpose is to open everything and I guess autowrap?

So the issues is not necessarily INDENT? It is WRAPPING the text whether or not an indent exists?

Have you checked out WRAP in Project HELP (not Provjet VBA Help)? There is a Change row height and wrap text topic. Seems like it might be germane.

Skip,
[sub]

in project 2007.. help topic is only calendar view.

I think wrap is a 2010 function?

I think that the answers at this point of the investigation, will be best addressed in forum913, where the MS Project gurus are.

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back