Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autoexec.nt Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordbertie

Technical User
Jan 21, 2005
GB
I have a old 16 bit software app which has been having problems running on the company's Xp pro machines.when i launch the software i get the following error message

, 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
path to the program that you are trying to start or install
C:\Winnt\System32\config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

I copy the files (autoexec.nt, config.nt & command.com) back into the system32 folder as recommended by Microsoft, this works fine but when i reboot the pc the same error appears and i have to repeat the process again.

Thanking you in advance
Lordbertie

Could this be the system restore doing this?

I had a problem with AUTOEXEC.NT for a long time (XP Pro SP2), the file was being removed on a reboot. I took a copy from another pc and simply copied it each time the problem arose. I got a bit fedup doing this so I tried setting AUTOEXEC.NT to read only and bingo no further problems

Roy

Included is the "copy-paste" response that we give for this problem at my work. Additionally, this file can be deleted or corrupted by adware or spyware. Get yourself scanned, pronto.

This is a known issue with the Windows 2000 and Xp systems. Sometimes the file that is required gets corrupted or deleted, and has to be either recreated or copied into the system. The offical information from Microsoft is here:
If the instructions for installing these files are difficult to follow, you may be able to download the files from this location, although since we do not control this website, we suggest to virus scan all downloaded files before installing:

16 BIT WINDOWS SUBSYSTEM ERROR
thread779-989151

Problem solved
thanks everyone for your advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back