Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

autoexec.bat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jono261970

Programmer
Jun 28, 2002
GB
hello,

I have gone from win98 to win xp pro and would appreciate some help. I have a program on floppy disk that i use to create an image of the HD - as it takes forever to load i used to copy the files onto c and call the .exe from autoexec.bat

I notice xp does not have an autoexec.bat file - is there another way of doing this?

cheers,

jono

A good fortune may forbode a bad luck, which may in turn disguise a good fortune.

There is no autoexec.bat anymore. You now use autoexec.nt and is found in the \windows\system32 folder. There is also a config.nt which is the replacement for config.sys.
These as called for when using command.com and cmd commands

You will be unhappy trying to boot XP from a floppy to execute autoexec.bat

What not copy the autoexec.bat from the floppy to the hard drive with the rest of the files. Use notepad to edit the file to remove any references to a:, and rename the file something else.

jono261970

would your program work under XP anyway (it doesn't like apps having direct access to hardware - which from your description yours may need)?

As mentioned - XP uses \\windows\system32\autoexec.nt - though I believe, unlike 2k it will parse \autoexec.bat for SET commands to set up local variables). But there are various other ways of starting apps when XP starts (if it need to run at start up).

>>I have gone from win98 to win xp pro and would appreciate some help. I have a program on floppy disk that i use to create an image of the HD - as it takes forever to load i used to copy the files onto c and call the .exe from autoexec.bat <<

From your note I understand your program does not need to run within Windows at all.

Using Windows XP Pro you can format a boot floppy disk and then run your DOS program in DOS as soon is it boots from the DOS floppy disk.

How to create your floppy boot disk from within Explorer.

In XP open Explorer (not Internet Explorer).

Or you can right double click on the My Computer icon. It opens to Explorer. See where it shows the A: drive.

Right click on the A: drive line and in the pop open menu select FORMAT. In the Format menu select to format a disk. Then in the format menu select to create a DOS boot disk. Make sure you have a clean floppy disk in the A: drive.

It will format the disk and place all the boot files onto the floppy disk. Then shut down XP. When finished you can boot to the floppy disk before Windows starts up.

Place your floppy boot disk in the A: drive and turn on your compuer which boots to DOS.

Jon

Hello,

Thanks for all help. Jonlogs solution will do the trick!

thanks jonlog

cheeers,

jono

A good fortune may forbode a bad luck, which may in turn disguise a good fortune.

It still will not solve the issue of access to NTFS volumes. An XP boot floppy is a ME versioned DOS boot disk and NTFS filestores will not be accessible.

Hi Jono,
Just for your info, I have XP Home Edition on my DELL Laptop and I have two Autoexec files (Autoexec.bat and Autoexec.nt) like this:
Autoexec.nt in folder C:\I386
&quot; &quot; &quot; C:\windows\repair
&quot; &quot; &quot; C:\Windows\System 32 , all three are 2 KB in size

and then I have
Autoexec.bat in drive C:\*.*

My autoexec.bat works very well with the following line in it:
PATH=C:\;C:\BATCH;C:\BRIEF

BRIEF is a very old Text editor (1986) which I prefer to Notepad. The only drawback is it limits the file name to 8 digits.

Charles Keller, Kelowna, BC (where we are having a big fire on the Okanagan Mountain). Fortunately I am on the other side of the mountain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back