Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autoexec.bat keeps on disappeating??

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrispybee

Technical User
Jun 12, 2003
GB
Hi Guys,

I have a computer that after a reboot, looses the autoexec.bat file. This gets really anoying and cannot find anything wrong.

I've got McAffe AV installed (Virus Scan 4) with latest updates but finds nothing?

Any Ideas??

Cheers and Merry Christmas

you're running winME?

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

well - what's in it?
where do you have it located on the HDD?
Also - when you have autoexec.bat - look for autoexec.BAK
is it the same?

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

Nothing in SE that would take it away, so would suspect some malware.

But this brings up another question. Why an autoexec.bat? Normal SE is happier without it. And without config.sys if you you have one of those. There are reasons to have both, just curious.

What happens if you boot to command prompt? Still going away?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Yeah, runs fine. In the autoexedc.bat it runs a batch file with a few menus.

The machine runs fine.. Maybe someone else has had this problem??

you 'might' have a virus that's stopping McAfee from loading this way (by deleting/renaming the Autoexec.bat file - or it's entries). More details and answered questions are needed

TT4U

Notification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back