Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

autodisconnecting a novell user from one drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolo2003

Programmer
Jun 17, 2003
CA
Is it possible to ask novell to disconnect a user at 11h00 PM but only on one drive ???

You can do it from an NT/2K client... Schedule a batch file to run at 11:00 and in the batch file declare
NET USE driveletter: /DELETE

Or if you want to use the proper Novell command, use:

MAP Q: /DEL

where Q: is your drive letter.

If the data was on a seperate volume, you could always configure a CRON job to dismount the volume on the server at 11pm, then a job to remount the volume at the required time in the morning. This way definately will mean the data is inaccessible as there are ways around the scheduler to stop it working. Both ways have their disadvantages because any open files at the time risk getting corrupted.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

TheLad is correct, but that has to run on the workstation. What is it you are trying to accomplish?

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

I have a problem with an old Foxpro application in a multiuser environment. We have a lot of user who leave the application open at night (the .dbf is on a Novell Server) Therefore, it is impossible for us to do the update automatically at night (File is lock). (The data is downloaded from a mainframe and uploaded in the dbase database)

I would say that your best bet is user education. Identify the users who keep the file open by checking who has the file open in MONITOR - then "educate" them to shut their PC down of a night.

"It's true, its damn true!"

You can also get those connections cleared by the watchdog if you put login time restrictions. If you are not a 24/7 shop I suggest putting the restrictions on all users so that you can get a complete backup(except for the backup user of course). We are 24/7 so we have the same issue.

Also, there are open file agents for most Backup programs which perport to backup open files. I've never had to restore one that was open so I cannot say if they really work or not.

Jon

How do you manage the fact that users may be working at that time ? (Working on a Word Document as an example)

Thats what our problem is, there is always some working, even on Christmas!!

What backup program are you using? Check to see if they have an "Open File" agent.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back