Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autocreated printers not correct settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chifu

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2001
GB
When printers are autocreated, we find that the original setting eg. number of trays and paper size are not picked up. This means the autocreated printers do not work correctly until the settings are changed.

Is is this normal or is this the usual printer driver problems or is there a setting for this?

Thanks

It seems that each time a user connects their printer reverts to the default factory installed settings. So, for instance, if you have extra paper trays or a duplexer unit installed, they will not show for the user.

The way I dealt with this was to change the printer settings from the Citrix server and then remove the comment 'Auto Created Client Printer X'.

This way the printer does not disappear when the client logs out and when they log back in the settings will remain.

Hope this helps.

Hi SatanicSysadmin,

This works fine but what about the security on that printer?
When the user logs off the prionter stays. but his security is also removed. Does anyone who logs on get this printer. In other words; from that moment the printer becomes a 'public' printer and is seen by everyone....

Do you have the same experience?

Frans Good Luck!
Frans

As far as I can tell everyone can see everyone's printers. Whether they are autocreated or static.

I tested a few things this morning and it looks like you can print to your client printer or another client's printer as long as the other user is logged in. (eg. I can print to the same HP LaserJet created through my client and through another user's client)

The problem seems to come where you try to print to a static printer for a client that is not logged in. The print job goes to the print spooler on the server and just sort of hangs there. What is worse is that the job does not go when the printer comes back online so you have to stop and restart the spooler.

For the most part I think that users here will only use their own printers. If, however, there is a better way to do this I am definitely open to trying it. For now though I think that having the correct options by default is more important than eliminating the possibility of people using each other's spooler.

I am going to keep playing with this and if I come across anything interesting I will post. As well I will check back periodically to see if you or anyone else has any ideas.

ThanX

We have decided not to have autocreated printers, but to set all printers to share, including the local printer connected to the back of the user's PC. Then we add printers as per normal NT inside the Citrix session. This means having to do this for every user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back