Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autocad Recover

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColmR

Technical User
Aug 25, 2004
IE
Hi,
I am currently using Autocad 2000 and a file I have been working on for some time will not open. I have tried the recover command and when the "Open File window" appears I can see the drawing in the preview window. When I go to open it it tells me that the file is already in use and I can open it in "Read Only". After clicking ok it says that it is unable to open the file because it contains incorrect or corrupt information.

Any sugggests would be extremely appreciated as I have put many hours into this. By the way I do not have a backup for the file. (criminal offense I know)

Thank you,
ColmR

Hi ColmR,
Sorry to hear about your file... Im guessing you may have an xref in the drawing? and that you may have tried to hatch something using the xref as a boundry...this is a sure fire way to corrupt your drawing really fast... there are a few things you can try... quickest and easiest is to open a new empty file and insert the other drawing into it and explode then make the hatch (if there was one) non-associative...this wont corrupt the drawing if you have to use the xref as a boundry.
if this doesnt work there is a "partial open" command in your open dialog box. this will allow you to open the drawing layer by layer..this can be tedious use this as a last resort. Either way, when and if you get it open, purge and audit the drawing. Then save it and buy the new release of Autocad...its fantastic, alot of improvements (and complexities)
Hope this helps. let me know
ccastelein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back