Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autocad 2005 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tman72

Technical User
Jan 22, 2003
US
Does anyone have input on the latest upgrade to 2005 either negative or positive? Any known bugs or compatibilty issues you have encountered with the new release? Any input is appreciated.

Hello, I have some experince with 2005. I attened an open event for the 2005 product family and what i saw impressed me the new features are designed with productivity in mind and they have listern to what users would like to see.

BUT.... it all depends on if you think you will use the new features, I am looking at upgrading with 2006 because that gives time to look at the new features and train staff on there use. Also we are running NT4 severs still (yes i know only this year left) and i had problems with profiles with it!! had to get a new profile.

So what I am trying to say is have a look at the features if you think they will be helpfully (the view maanger is what i am very exited about), and think do i need these now or can we work them in over time and develope new working methods using these tools....

sorry i have babbled on abit and proabaly did not help but i hope i have if you want more spacfic info let me know.

martin

Thanks Martin,

We participate in the subscription program and received our new upgrades last week and are curious if there are any issues that we might have to watch for. We are running Win2k and XP. With any new upgrade it seems there are a few bugs to work out along the way.

We have several lisp routines that we use and with some upgrades we have had to do some tweaking to get them to work again, others work just fine. The new features sure look impressive though.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the links borgunit. The random plotting error with images being lost is scary since we sometimes use aerial photos for backgrounds on some of the maps we plot. It should be interesting.

Thanks again borgunit. Worth the read.

What's with AutoDESK? They've cornered the market and now they're forcing upgrades on us every year. It's criminal!

No doubt. Not to mention the subscription fees keep going up. It's the trend with more software these days. You get the choice of a yearly fee or end up having to buy a whole new software package if you want to upgrade. It's ridiculous.

I have 6 AutoCAD 2005's their OK, but I have had a few problems. Some of which I have yet to crack. I understand Autodesk will be dropping the tab system for the drawing sheets which is a shame all in favour of the sheet manager. Fortunatly they still work OK. One problem we have faced is that a number of our clients need the files in 2000 format so we always save down by default. We are than getting a "enotthatkindoclass" error mesage when the files are opened in ADT 3.3 everytime you carry out a comand. Very irritating.
(So far the only way I can get around this is to copy all the entities out in to a new ADT 3.3 drawing which is not really feasable)
I think this is because of the revised file format and the fact that the new version creates entities that ADT 3.3 can't deal with. Hopefully there will be a way of stopping the entities forming /being created in the first instance. I live in hope

Sorry for going on and hope it was some use. I'll have a look at the links passed down via the other reply's to see what they say

Gazza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back