Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

autocad 2002 autosaves back to autocad r14 autosaves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashnb444

Technical User
Jan 14, 2003
US
Hello,

Is there a way to get autocad 2002 autosaves to save the way they used to do it in autocad release 14. When you save it now & do not wait for the autosave it will not save a sv$. It will just make a bak & save the dwg. The old way did both. I have a drafter here that looses his drawings because he will do a quick save, when he is bugged by a shop person & then when he wants to go back to the sv$ file it does not exist. Can somebody point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Crash

Crash,

AutoCAD 2002 does save the same way as r14 used to - so I'm not sure I understand your problem. If your drafter is saving the file before a shop person interrupts him, why does he need to go back to an Autosave file? AutoCAD does save the Autosave file as an .sv$ file, are sure he/you are just not finding the file? This is from the help files in AutoCAD:

Naming of autosave files

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue

You want to know the naming convention used for autosave files.

Solution

You can open multiple drawings in a single session, and have multiple sessions that open one or more drawings. The automatic save feature creates autosave files for each open drawing, regardless if it is opened in multiple sessions.

An autosave file is created when the Save Time option is set and the Automatic Save setting is turned on. You can access these settings in the File Safety Precautions section, on the Open and Save tab of the Options dialog box. Autosave files are named using this format:

[tt]SAVEFILEPATH\FileName_InstanceID_SessionID_RandomNumber.sv$[/tt]

The components of the format are:
[ul square]
[li]SAVEFILEPATH - A system variable that sets the path to the folder where all autosave files are stored for the current session.[/li]
[li]FileName - The name of the current DWG file to automatically save.[/li]
[li]InstanceID - A number that is incremented by 1 if the same drawing is opened more than once in the same session. The initial value is 1.[/li]
[li]SessionID - A number that is incremented by 1 if the drawing is opened in a second or subsequent session of the program. The initial value is 1.[/li]
[li]RandomNumber - A random four-digit number.[/li]
[li].sv$ - The default file name extension for automatically saved drawings. You can change this file name extension in the File Safety Precautions section, on the Open and Save tab of the Options dialog box.[/li]
[/ul]
The following example shows the format in use and provides a description for each of the components:

[tt]C:\AutoCAD Drawings\Abcd_1_1_4567.sv$[/tt]

[ul square]
[li]C:\AutoCAD Drawings - The value stored in the SAVEFILEPATH system variable.[/li]
[li]Abcd - The name of the current DWG file.[/li]
[li]1 - Indicates this is the first instance of the drawing opened in the program session.[/li]
[li]1 - Indicates the file is opened in the first program session.[/li]
[li]4567 - A random four-digit number.[/li]
[li].sv$ - The default Autosave file name extension.[/li]
[/ul]