Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autoarchive??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgoodman00

Programmer
Jan 23, 2001
When autoarchive runs it appears to archive messages (etc) matching the criteria you specify. These are apparently then appended to a file which the user can also specify. Each time autoarchive (or manual archive I guess) runs, does it overwrite the existing messages saved in the archive file, or does it add them to the existing messages. I ask this because, it seems a little stupid if it deletes all the other messages, because it is then not really an archive. I tried restoring my messages from my archive file, but most of them appeared to be missing.....

Is anyone able to clarify this??? James Goodman
j.goodman00@btinternet.com

Hi James

Yes, it is supposed to append to the archive, however, I have had messages disappear into thin air with several users when technicians used "File, Archive, Archive this folder and all subfolders, archive older than" feature.

What I recommend, set the archive settings on each of your mailbox folders and always use "File, Archive, Archive all folders according to their archive settings". In my organization, e-mail has not been lost when archiving that way.

We have had the same "disappearing email trick" when using "File, Archive, Archive this folder and all subfolders, archive older than". Is there any way of finding where they've gone and getting them back?

I looked long and hard for the missing e-mail messages because I just couldn't believe that they were gone and I could not find them. The users only had one .pst file on their hard drive so it didn't archive to another file. If there is a way to recover the messages, I'd like to know too but I can tell you that they were not in the user's archive files, in their mailboxes, or in their recoverable deleted items so I can't imagine where else the messages would have ended up. I ended up having to pull the messages back from a backup tape....very painful....

My question is somewhat similar to the above mentioned but the emails are not archiving into the subfolders. I was wondering how come when you archive the cabinet does it not take the same settings at the subfolder level. I made sure to mark to accept the default settings I put in the Options, Auto Archive settings. Some subfolders took it others did not. What did I do wrong. Please help!

Are you setting the auto-archive setting on every sub-folder? If you do not, they will not archive when you choose to "archive all folders according to their auto-archive settings" or if you choose to run auto-archiving automatically. If you have set the settings on each sub-folder and the folders are still not archiving, it is probably because there is no e-mail in the folder that meets the archiving criteria. Archiving uses the "modified" date of the message and not the actual "received" date which means that if you open a message or move a message or a folder, it resets the "modified" date to the date that you last accessed the files. You can view the "modified" field of a folder by choosing something like "view", "current view", "customize current view", choose "all mail fields" then choose "modifed" and I think you click "add" and "ok". I'm not 100% sure if this is exactly correct because I'm not at my computer at work to verify the settings but that should get you in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back