Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto-Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

waltp9999

Programmer
Jun 17, 2002
US
Up to December, when the AutoUpdate icon showd up in the system tray, I could start the download if I wanted it. Then when it was downloaded, the icon would come back so I could install the update.

Now, I start the download, and a day or two later the icon returns, and the update is ready for download again. I can't get to the install. Any ideas what settings I need to check that may have gotten trashed?

Thanks,
Walt

Why dont you just let the autoupdate download the update without prompting you.

Go to system in device manger and select auto updates then select download updates automatically. It will then promt you before installing.

I know people want to be prompted before they download anything but the way things are going with worms and viruses now the best thing is to trust what microsoft and antivirus companys advise when they recommend an update to thier software.

Simply control. They've had updates that were wrong and I'd rather install when I'm sure their "fix" is correct.

Simply control. They've had updates that were wrong and I'd rather install when I'm sure their "fix" is correct. It used to work before downloading, I like to know why it doesn't now.

Walt

It is likely it depends on the update.
If you could provide the Qxxxxx or Hotfix reference I likely can give you a workaround. The last MDAC update is a problem for some machines.

Any help?

306525 - HOW TO: Configure and Use Automatic Updates in Windows XP

327838 - HOW TO: Schedule Automatic Updates in Windows XP, Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003

Silent Install of Automatic Updates with users as Administrator
thread779-636620

Not yet, linney. I already know HOW to set up Auto Update. I want to know why when updates are ready to download and I have notification properly set, they do not download. Standard instructions are of no help in this situation.

bcastner, the last two updates have not worked (the last one ends in 83 I believe). I think there have only been two this year.

There have been 3 critical updates this year. Is it possible that you haven't had the latest one? (for IE)

I thiunk that automatic downloading of of updates may be somewhat staggered. I have 3 PC's in my house, all with the same update settings. Sometimes pc 1 and 2 will download the updates 24 - 48 hours before pc 3. Sometimes pc 3 is first. I really haven't figured out a pattern, I just know that the downloads must be starggered in some way.

VBAinChicago
For Fun -

six3077: There have been 3 critical updates this year. Is it possible that you haven't had the latest one? (for IE)

OK, it's been 3. Of course it's possible. They won't download. THAT's the problem. Why won't they download is my question. And the latest one for IE is the current one that won't download.

Waltp9999,

Just to help use help you, is it a case that they do not download (an error occurs, or nothing happens), or is it the case that the Hotfixes are applied, but Windows Update keeps wanting to update an already updated workstation?

How do I tell? Once the fix is supposed to be downloaded, I have no idea what to look for. I don't keep a record of the number (I can next time it arrives) but to date I don't know
where the download is placed, whether or not it gets installed, how to check if it is installed.

So far, none of the $NtUninstall...$ directories under c:\Windows is dataed 2004. The latest is dated 11/12/2003. And I don't know if all updates create such a directory.

This year the only file I have that looks like a fix is q824145.PNF, dated 1/31/04 but there are 4 other associated files dated last year:
.CAT dated 10/20/03
.INF dated 11/12/03 (2 files)
.PNF dated 11/12/03
There is no associated directory.

Very confusing....

I agree it is confusing.

Daniel Petri has some very valuable suggestions on his site:
Be sure to find all the suggestions he has made about Hotfix management:

Windows Update
Windows Update Problems
Info Collected by Windows Update
Configure Auto Windows Update
Microsoft Software Update Services (SUS)
GFI LANguard Network Security Scanner
Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer v1.2
HFNetChk
Shalvik HFNetChk Pro/LT
Microsoft Security Bulletins

Note: Some items might fit into 2 or more categories, for example IIS 5.0 and Windows 2000 updates, but they only appear in one. Also, many IE and IIS hotfixes were incorporated into Windows 2000 Service Packs 3 and 4 and into Windows XP Pro SP1/1a. Read the Windows 2000 SP3 Info, Windows 2000 SP4 Info, Windows XP SP1 Info and Windows XP SP1a Info pages for more on this subject."

These three topics discussed on his site:

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer v1.2
HFNetChk
Shalvik HFNetChk Pro/LT

I hope will improve matters for you. Poke around Daniel's site under this issue, as he writes very plain english description of the tools available, how to use them, and why.

If your update logs show a specific error message, please post it an that would help a great deal to resolving the issue.

One site I have often referred users to, that I think is very well done (but slightly long):
Please post again if the above does not resolve the issue. It is a resolvable issue.
Bill

The latest update request is back. It's for KB832894
The Windows Update.Log for today contains:

2004-02-06 15:42:54 21:42:54 Success IUENGINE Starting
2004-02-06 15:42:55 21:42:55 Success IUENGINE Determining machine configuration
2004-02-06 15:42:58 21:42:58 Success IUENGINE Querying software update catalog from 2004-02-06 15:42:58 21:42:58 Success IUENGINE Determining machine configuration
2004-02-06 15:43:00 21:43:00 Success IUENGINE Querying software update catalog from 2004-02-06 15:43:00 21:43:00 Success IUENGINE Determining machine configuration
2004-02-06 15:43:18 21:43:18 Success IUENGINE Querying software update catalog from 2004-02-06 15:43:19 21:43:19 Success IUENGINE Determining machine configuration
2004-02-06 15:43:21 21:43:21 Success IUENGINE Querying software update catalog from 2004-02-06 15:43:21 21:43:21 Success IUENGINE Determining machine configuration
2004-02-06 15:43:26 21:43:26 Success IUENGINE Querying software update catalog from 2004-02-06 15:43:26 21:43:26 Success IUENGINE Shutting down
2004-02-06 15:43:26 21:43:26 Success IUCTL Shutting down

Looks like a check to see if the latest update needs to be installed. The time listed is about the time I noticed the icon.

I now click on the icon and Download
No errors displayed. No change to the .LOG file.

I tried a couple things mentioned from Petri's site. Will now have to wait until Update checks again to see it there's any change.

Thanks for all the info, by the way. I may have to try the autodownload next. I may never see an update again! ;-)

If you type SystemInfo at a command prompt that will give you a list of Updates and Hotfixes installed on your machine. If you type QfeCheck (needs to be installed) at a command prompt that will give you a list of Hotfixes and validate installation. It will not list any Updates. (What is the difference between an Update and a Hotfix?
).

282784 - Qfecheck.exe Verifies the Installation of Windows 2000 and Windows XP Hotfixes

To confuse the issue further none of the above will list Internet Explorer patches. The KB832894 you are referring to is the last cumulative patch for IE released in the past couple of days. To see if any IE patches are installed bring up the About Internet Explorer box from the Help menu. KB832894 should be listed there as Q832894 under Update Versions.

The Belarc Advisor (free for personal use) can check and validate all updates, hotfixes and patches installed on your machine, plus give you a heap of other information about your machine.

PS The above link is offline at the moment, so I can't check it. Belarc is easy to find via Google.

Waltp9999,

I was afraid it was that update. What I know:

. Microsoft is aware of some issues with this update and intends a "fix" soon.

. If you use Windows "Catalogue" to do the MDAC 2.8 update, it usually, not always, resolves the issue.

Well, I switched AutoUpdate to autoDownload and I haven't seen any updates yet to be installed. So my AutoUpdate is on the fritz. Are there any services besides AU that must be running to allow AU do do it's thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back