Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Update clients

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2000
US
Hi, I am trying to auto update ICA32 clients. When users log in they get the message to update thier ICA client but after they click yes they get the error message " The server could not download the new ICA client because the location of ICA client installation could not be determined". Any idea !!!

Are you trying to update to the latest Win32 client?

If so, it needs to be unzipped to a folder in your clients database, and the Client Update Configuration Tool needs to point to the update.ini in the disk1 folder.

I could not find the any option in Client update configuration tool where you can say that go to update.ini in disk1 folder. In configuration toll I can see properties of Citrix ICA win32 client and it says ver 6.0.910 and in comments it say ver 6.0.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I don't think it's in Citrix's literature, so I can vouch that this is a *good* idea, but I have found that you can update the database in the Update Configuration tool from just about any folder.

Try this:

1. Create a new folder, and use WinZip to extract the contents of the downloaded file (from Citrix's website) into this folder.

2. Open the Update Configuration tool, and create a new Client.

3. Use the browse button to locate the update.ini in the folder you created in step 1.

4. Follow the remaining steps, and configure as required.

I tried this as I wrote this procedure, to double-check, and it worked.

If you are still having problems, please provide more details about the procedures you are following, also check the client you are using, the levels of permission on the relevant folders and user/group rights to those folders.

I hope this helps

I had the exact same problem.

What resolved it was to extract the contents of ALL the disks to a single folder before creating the new client.

Hope that helps.

Well of course now I'm having the same exact problem!
I did what the above posters said to do, that is,
to put all the contents of the three disks folders into
one folder and use the ICA Client Update Configuration
to find the update.ini thats associated with the newer
client version. Alas, my hopes were shattered when I
got the same error again after trying this. Has anyone
else seen this error and how to deal with it in any other
way?

Scott Guzman

I did not find anything to fix this. Doing manual update.If some has fix please inform me.
Sandeep

Ensure that the folders are in %systemroot%\system32.

Are all the clients on the same network as the server, or on a WAN?

As a quick recap of what I did;

1) Start ICA Client Update Configuration tool
2) Choose Client, New
3) in the Client Installation File box, choose browse to search for the update.ini file in the folder you put the client files in
4) Click Next and select the desired options until you reach the Enable client screen. Click the Enabled check box.
5) Click Finish.

I've just done this again, to make sure, and it worked without a hitch. My assumptions are that there is either a network problem, or a file access problem (ie permissions).

Check these areas first, if the above steps do not work.

I hope this helps - good luck!

I got it to work! What I did was first download the latest client. Per directions, I used a command (I can't find it now, of course) which tells it where to unpack (for lack of a better word) the three disk subdirectories for you to update from. I unpacked them off a folder I called "new" off the root C directory. Then I started the ICA Update Client Configuration Tool and told it to look for the update.ini file for the newly unpacked client install files.
No problem at this point, but then again, there was no problem at this point before. The test came when I used a client to start the auto update and like I said... IT WORKED!

Now I just have to test it on a regular users' computer where they have minimal rights to their desktop which may have an impact on the auto update. Any thoughts on that?

Scott

Thanks for your input. I will try to do this week.What client did you download? or file name.

The original error message was " The server could not download the new ICA client because the location of ICA client installation could not be determined".

My contacts at Citrix have confirmed that there was a bug in "An earlier version of the client", which resulted in this message, and a friend who works at an ASP/Platinum Partner has told me that he saw this issue a lot around November-December last year.

I did a quick search on Citrix's solutions forum and TheThin.net, and there are many postings that confirm this.

I think using the newest client is the "fix" to this issue ;-)

I hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back