Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto set a home page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Can you give me a script who can set my page for a home page without confirm of the visitor?

no can do. You can only do it with confirmation.

Wouldn't that be awful if people could do it without confirmation? That would mean that everyone without you knowing could set their home page as your home page.

Gary Haran

I don't know of any way it can be done, but xutopia it's happened to me. A year or two ago, I can't remember what browser I was using, but the next time I logged on my homepage was different. I never confirmed anything. maybe a bug in a browser version, or maybe I was hacked, but I have seen it. Any thoughts? have you heard of such a bug?
Thank god that doesn't happen all the time, I'd go more crazy than I already am :)

dis

dislimbic,

Human error is sometimes at fault. Now I know MS and Netscape never intentionaly created a possibility for a web site to set itself as the default home page without user confirmation but there are numerous bugs and pluggins that could have been installed that could get access to this and there are enough bugs in browsers that one could very well have allowed such a thing to happen. All human error. Another common human error is to click yes whenever an activeX component is installed.

Another thing is that sometimes installing a program that has nothing to do with IE or Netscape could affect your home page. Unfortunatly nothing is perfect but perfection would be that you the end user would have control over what your home page is and decide when to change it.

;)

Hope this clears things out! :) Gary Haran

Hi,

Its happened to me and some of my mates before, but it was one of the numerous bugs patched in IE 5.5. Now it no longer happens.

However, I still get the odd "favourites" being added, even though I have not let any active X component or anything else done either.

odd but thats IE for you

James

Thanks xutopia, I was always curious about this. Thanks for letting me know :)

dis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back