Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto send E-mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohannIcon

Programmer
Sep 3, 2002
MT
Dear All,

I have a database of expiry dates, and I wish that when this expiry date reaches today's date, then an auto e-mail is sent to the user to notify him. As long as the coding into this asp goes, I know how to do it, ie read from the database and compare the dates. However I need something, a script, either third party or a component that triggers this procedure every day. Is there some sort of script that runs on the server, and is triggered once every day?

Thanks for your help

Hi JohannIcon,
You can use both stored procedures and triggers for your application which will work perfectly.

I hope you know how to write a trigger and stored procedure for your application.

No I have never written a stored procedure or a trigger. How can i do that?

Thanks for your help

I know using a stored procedure would be a better idea but couldn't you just create the page and use a META refresh tag that refreshes the page every day?

It's 4:43 am and I've been up all night studying for a test so forgive me if I make no sense. ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

Just go through any standard book or material which will give some idea on how to write stored procedures and triggers. By searching thru sites/book u will get lot of information on both. you can learn your own.

Ok Thanks all, just one last thing, does a stored procedure work only on an SQL server?

Each database, Oracle - MS SQL Server - etc., has their own language but all allow for stored procedures. If you're asking if MS Access has them, nope?

I'm sure someone in the appropriate database forum could help you write your stored procedure.
Thanks,

Gabe

oh I see, then I am pretty mixed up what to do!

Thanks again for your help

If you tell us exactly what you are trying to do, maybe we can help.
Thanks,

Gabe

Its in the beginning of this post.

I have a database of expiry dates, and I wish that when this expiry date reaches today's date, then an auto e-mail is sent to the user to notify him. As long as the coding into this asp goes, I know how to do it, ie read from the database and compare the dates. However I need something, a script, either third party or a component that triggers this procedure every day. Is there some sort of script that runs on the server, and is triggered once every day?

Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back