Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Save Emails to Network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul318

Technical User
Aug 10, 2001
GB
Hi,
I'm looking for software that will run on Exchange 2003 server which will automatically save a copy of any emails (sent or rec) to a network location. This will be based on the subject (so if the subject contains 4343 save to folder H:\jobs\4343).

Does anyone know of a good package that will do this?

Have you looked at the journaling feature of Exchange?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

What are you trying to achieve? Journaling copies emails but not to storage, only to email.

We are trying to save all emails that are sent or received with certain project numbers in the subject to save the emails to the job folder on the network, just because many different people work on any one project and all of the emails need to be accessed by everyone working on that project. Users are forgetting to put these emails in, and if working remotely they don't do this until they return to the office. So we wanted something on the server that we can setup to do this. We looked at rules in Outlook, but we would need to set the rule on EVERY computer which isn’t a viable option.

We also have a lot of data out of email, large CAD drawings which we don't really want to bog the exchange server down with.

Thanks for all of your suggestions, but Sherepoint is an overhead which we don't want to get into. Ideally we'd just like some archiving software that will copy emails from exchange to the File store.

I'm not aware of an archiving solution that does what you want. Many use a flat file system, but it's proprietary to the solution, or cryptic. Nothing that would organize to what you want. You'd be better off using a conventional email archiving solution and then using the solution's interface to retrieve as needed.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Hi,
We have decided to go with a rules option, does anyone know of any software that will allow the Outlook rules to be set once on the server?
We found this product which seems perfect, but it only works for Exc5.5! Can't seem to find one for 2003 anywhere? Any suggestion would be greatly received!
Thanks.

slipstick.com or diditbetter.com used to do something like this I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back