Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gq4

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2002
US
Is there any way to auto restart Windows 2000 server? If not, is there a way to save password so it doesn't have to be entered all of the time?

I don't know if Microsoft has a built in auto restart program. I currently run a 2000 server and attached to it is an APC UPS Battery Backup unit which comes with management software that enables me to have a scheduled restart on a weekly basis. If you have a battery backup unit, but don't have the software, i believe you can download it from the manufacturer's site for free. I believe all units such as mine have some sort of managment software which comes with such a feature. I hope this helps

I use the shut down tool included with the 2K resource kit, called Shutdown Manager. Although it is not an "automatic" tool, it does allow you to reboot remotely.

You can purchase Autoshutdown/reboot tools. Check out:

I haven't used these tools on these sites. You can find others by using google and searching for shutdown tools Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

I've rolled my own solution to this b/c we have a server that is lots happier when it gets a regular reboot. You can use any NT based OS should work - I've used NT 4.0 and w2k server and workstations in the past. Use the at command to schedule a command line shutdown utility. I can't recommend one in particular, but usually just search for "NT shutdown command line" in a search engine and take whatever is listed as free, or if you have the resource kit, there's one included there I believe.

Firstly download a shutdown utility (just search for shutdown.exe in Google, there are loads of them) such as
Create a batch file called sd.bat that contains the following line:
[tt]shutdown -f -r[/tt]

Use AT to schedule the reboot like so:
[tt]at 19:00 c:\batch\sd.bat[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back