Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto-responce to emails sent to old domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotobi

Technical User
Mar 9, 2004
HK
Hey

This client is running Windows SBS 2003 SP2.

We've managed to sort out a shorter domain name to use (say: "short_domain.com"), and Exchange is set to accept emails sent to both "short_domain.com" and "old_very_long_domain.com". Obviously, all users' default email addresses are "name@short_domain.com"

What I want to do is set up and auto-responce for any emails sent to "old_very_long_domain.com". I want it to be from the user is was sent to saying something like "I have recieved your email and will respond as normal, but note that now my new email address is "name@short_domain.com".

I've had a play with outlook rules with little success and was wondering if there is anything I can do on the server to achieve this.

Somthing that could be important is that emails for "old_very_long_domain.com" are downloaded via pop3 connector. Emails for "short_domain.com" are recieved via SMTP connector.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I would hesitate to get that many auto-responders going. They can be real nightmares, especially when they bounce for whatever reason (bad address, full mailbox or spam blocker) and create loads of work for your server and/or endless loops.

If you're downloading them via POP3 I would have the auto-responding done by the POP server that's forwarding to you, it should be an option in the website's CPanel. It can still be a mess.

Better would be to have all employees use a signature that describes the situation in all correspondence.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Well the loop thing wont happen becuase if you send an email to "name@old_very_long_domain.com", the autoresponce would come from "name@short_domain.com" as that is the users' default address. And as there is no auto responce set up on the "short_domain.com" then loop wont happen.

However, I get your point. For now I've just set up an outlook rule for each user that moves mail that has the specific words in the header "Received: from mail pickup service by old_very_long_domain.com" to a specified folder. This way, at least the user knows which address the sender sent the mail too so they can reply accordingly.

Although if anyone comes up with bright ideas, let me know.

Thanks!!

I used our DNS Host to forward all email to old domain to a specific address that I created on the SBS like "do_not_reply@domain.com"
Then I set up an outlook rule which would reply to ALL emails sent to "do_not_reply@domain.com" with a message stating the changes that have taken place.
This worked well and after 6 months I removed it and all remains of the old domain from the server.
Now the old domain no longer forwards emails to the new domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back