Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Resolving names when sending a message..Strange thing going on..

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekkid

Technical User
Dec 28, 2001
US
Hey guys,

I have something kind of strange happening that is very minor but giving me alot of grief from the users...

When sending a new message and you type someones first initial and last name in the To: box, normally it resolved on its own. However since I installed Exchange 2000 from Exchange 5.5 it now does not work. If you hit alt k or go to tools and select check name it works.. Maybe its a setting that I've missed or something is screwy.. Could someone please let me know if they have had this issue or know the setting I need to select? The calls are driving me mad over this.. I'll give an example:

open new email

type jdoe in the To: box

nothing happens

if you go to tools and select check name it changes jdoe to John Doe - MIS Dept.

Please help if you can.

Thanks in advance ..

kidd

Right from Outlook help:

Turn on or off automatic name checking
On the Tools menu, click Options.

Click the Preferences tab, click E-Mail Options, and then click Advanced E-Mail Options.

Select or clear the Automatic name checking check box.

BTW: Exhange has nothing to do with how Outlook handles the lookups. Did you upgrade Outlook too?

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.. First thing I checked after posting this Sebrbtastic, was what you replied... All are checked.. the thing that puzzled me is that its across the network.. not just a single user.. and they were no complaints before I moved to Exchange2k.

I did find the solution, by luck mostly but here you go. For some reason, your check name option IS tied to your contacts and other options you have.

I had an error when selecting contacts from the menu when sending an email.. so i figured out the solution to solve that which in turn solved the name check issue. Here is how I did it..

The error read as follows for the contacts :
The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder associated with this address list could not be opened, it may have been moved or deleted, or you do not have permissions. For information on how to remove this folder from the Outlook Address Book, please see Microsoft Outlook Help.

The solution is :

To remove the old address list from the address.

Then reattach your address list. ( I can give information on how to do this if anyone would like)

Solving this problem solved the issue with the check name.. Not sure how they are both connected, but they are.

Thanks for the responces, hope this helps someone as well.

Kidd

Go to each user's Outlook and under Tools - Services remove the Outlook Address Book, then add it back in.

So, like I said, the problem lies in Outlook, not Exchange, but it just looks that way.
Probably the 'old' contact reference was still there and does not work of course.
Good you found it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back