Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto-replies to email outside Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpuphantom

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2001
US
Hello all... I run an Exchange 2000 system with Outlook 2000 for the clients. I am having problems using message rules to reply to emails outside of Exchange. For instance, I tried to create a rule that would reply with a message to every email it received. When I send an email from an email on this Exchange system it works fine, every time. But when I send it from an email outside the Exchange system, it never works, ever. And I don't understand it. Is there a setting somewhere that would change that, and allow auto-replies in rules to send to emails outside of Exchange? Thanks for the help.

Check in Global Settings. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Perhaps I really don't know what I'm doing, but I don't see anything in global settings to help me with what I need. The two options beneath Global settings I see are "Internet Message Format" and "Message Delivery." Message format obviously isn't it, and Message Delivery seems to be more for filtering what comes in to the office from outside. Nothing that will allow auto reply emails from Message rules to be sent out of the company.

Thanks Dan, please advise.

This happened to me too, it's very well hidden.

OK, in system manager go to Global Settings\Internet Message Formats\Default, bring up Properties and on the Advanced tab you have all sorts of options including automatic replies. This could certainly have been documented a little better...

There is an MS article here re doing the same thing for Out of Office messages, merely substitute automatic replies!

Cheers!

Martin

Thanks Martin! That was perfect! Thanks again, and take care!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back