Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Recover won't let me open InDesign...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfleener

Technical User
Jun 20, 2007
US
Can someone help me... For some reason whenever I open InDesign now, I get a dialog box that asks if I want to auto recover, and gives me the option of yes, no, or cancel.

I don't know what it is trying to recover, but when it pops up, I get the waiting icon like it's thinking, so it won't let me select anything. I've restarted multiple times, and even let it sit there all night hoping it would "finish thinking" and go back to the normal cursor and let me select something. But, now it is just totally useless and I can't open anything. Is there any way to cancel out of that or turn off the auto-recover feature without being able to open the program? I'm stumped!

You had an application quit while a file was being worked on, and not yet saved.
It is an extremely handy little feature, which has helped me more than once.
if you don't want to open and save that file, just click no.
Mark

If you're on a mac and the program won't launch, you can try going to hard drive/user/library/preferences and trash "com.adobeindesign.plist" and then see if it'll launch. I don't know what widows call indesign prefs nor where they're stored.

It appears that INDD is, for whatever reason, reading that you had a program crash with a document open and, upon launch is looking for stuff in the Indesign Recovery Folder.

You might have to reinstall but, if you do, make sure to trash preferences and settings folders for indesign. Generally, when you reinstall the app on either windows or mac it does not replace the prefs file. If that's corrrupted, you end up with the same corrupted prefs as before.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Before trashing preferences, I would see if anything is in the recovery folder. If so, move it out and try starting the program.

Of course, deleting preferences or recovery documents should only be done when InDesign is not running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back