Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Power Up PC running Windows ME - mind of its own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDL1

Technical User
Mar 1, 2003
US
Help, My mother has a Dell desktop running Windows ME that will reboot by itself. Sometimes it powers ON from being fully powered OFF all by itself. She has had the PC for aprox 1yr but the problem has been happening for about a month or so. The computer is only connected to a printer and sometimes a digital camera. She is not on DSL or Cable, she uses 56K modem dialup.

How much of an idiot am I? Is there a setting I'm missing? Or is her computer just plain ole evil? help please.

Scratch that - it's all smoke and mirrors.

Are you sure it isn't waking from sleep mode?

Does it have a ATX power supply, or the older AT supplies?

If you're sure its truly powering on and off, it might be surges that are triggering it, I'd recommend purchasing a small desktop UPS with battery backup to protect that computer. No need to hookup the ups with the serial or usb cable, just plugin the power cord and see how it goes.

Matt J.

hello
disable wake on lan in power management and or bios.
allso do online scan at housecall or panda anti virus. you may have trojin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back