Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto-populating a text box

Status
Not open for further replies.

sstasiak

MIS
Feb 8, 2007
US
I have a form with fields 'Height' and 'BSA' stored in table OncRegMain, and a subform with fields 'Weight' and 'Datetaken' stored in table WeightUpdate. The two tables are linked by a Medical record#(MedRecNo) which is the primary key of OncRegMain. The ID for the WeightUpdate fields is assigned the value in MedRecNo from the main form.

So each MedRecNo can have multiple entries in the WeightDate table. It's meant to be a weight history.

The BSA field on the main form is equal to the 'Height' in inches multiplied by the 'Weight' in pounds. I can't figure out how to take the most current weight for a particular patient stored in the 'WeightUpdate' table, multiply it by the height, then populate the BSA field with the result.

The 'WeightUpdate' table is automatically sorted by dates going from most recent to oldest. So the first MedRedNo associated with the patient I'm looking for will be the most current weight taken.

Here's my data entry process:

In main form I enter 'Height', then tab to the subforms 'Weight' field and enter data, tab down to 'Date Taken' and enter that, then click the 'Save' button in the subform which saves those entries and clears the text boxes in case a series of dates and weights needs to be entered.

Any ideas on how to take the data in the 'MedRecNo' text box, search the 'WeightUpdate' table for the first entry matching the MedRecNo, take the weight for that record, multiply it by the # stored in the height field, then populate the BSA field with the result?

That cycle should happen each time a new weight entry is added to a record so that the BSA is always updated

I'm a beginner at this so that's why I'm adding as much info as possible, hoping that the replies will be just as detailed

Try this in the control source of BSA field:

= [forms]![mainformname]![subformname]![subformfieldname] * [forms]![mainform]![mainformfieldname]

ANd the properties of the subform, on the event tab, place this inside of the afterupdate event:
[forms]![mainformname]![BSAfieldname].requery

Hope this helps

niteraven

That didn't work. In the BSA field I now see '#Name?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back