Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto-Populate From Table2 to Table1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodywoodpecker

Technical User
Oct 23, 2002
US
I have two tables, one being the main table and the other being a reference table. When I enter a "1" in column A in the main table, I want Access to look at the reference table and populate column B in the main table with the corresponding value. Then, I want Access to also populate Column C and D in the main table. My reference table has 3 columns. Can this be done?

Hi,

Yep, it's really not hard. The easiest way is to make a combo box from the second table with the values you want to use to populate the first table. As an example let's pretend that table B is for customers and table A is orders. If you wanted to let someone choose a customer number (1) and it when to table B to find the shipping address and whatnot for the order.

So on your form for Table A make a combo box using table B as the source. Set the combo box (lets call it custpick) to query with the first column (column 0 as it's zero based) being the customer code and column 1 being the shipaddress and column 2 being the shipcity, column 3 for the shipstate and column 4 for the shipzip.

In the property box for the combo box set it to 5 columns with the bound column being 1.

When the user chooses a cust number from custpick put this code is the on update event of the combo box.

Me!shipaddress = me!custpick.column(1)
Me!shipcity = me!custpick.column(2)
Me!shipstate = me!custpick.column(3)
Me!shipzip = me!custpick.column(4)

That should do it. Me! refers to the form so all those fields would have to be on the form.

Hope that helps.

Joanne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back