Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Populate a box

Status
Not open for further replies.

swan717

MIS
May 16, 2001
US
Hi:

I'm trying to create a database that will automatic populate a field when I enter something in the prior field. For example, the table has the following four columns: vendor, address, town, and date of service. The vendor's contact address and town will always be the same, so I want to have a combo box to list all of the vendors and then automatically populate the address and town fields. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

One way to do this is to have a sheet with a table of your vendors and their addresses.(Col A vendors, Col B Address, Col C town) So lets say on Sheet 2, you have that list and you define a name to that list called vendors.

On sheet one, in cell A2, you type in the vendor.

In B2, put =VLOOKUP(A2,vendors,2,0)

In C2, put =VLOOKUP(A2,vendors,3,0)

Blue [dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

Thanks for the tip, but I'm not really sure how to apply it to Microsoft Accss. Any suggestions?

Sorry, I was assuming that you were using excel...

That's what I get for that...

If you are creating a form to do this, it can be done...I haven't used access in a long time, but maybe an Access guru may be able to help you out. There are also some Access forums on the site that may get you a quicker answer.

Blue [dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back