Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto page numbering in PM7.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

theodorevoelkel

IS-IT--Management
Nov 22, 2002
US
I find something screwy in PM 7 regarding AUTOMATIC PAGE NUMBERING. When I put "LM" and "RM" on the master pages, like I'm used to doing, what pops up on the document pages are just "LM" (left pages) and "RM" (right pages), NOT THE PAGE NUMBERS I WANT.

Has PM7 switched to some other code designation for page numbering on master pages, and no longer uses the old familiar "LM" and "RM"?

Very good of you to shed any light you can!

Nah, i'm making documens using a script that adds the data and pictures required on a new page. Couldn't i use the 'GetPages' function at the end of the script to tell me the total number of pages? But then how do i change back to the begining of the publication and insert it on each page. How can i cance pages in PM scrpt....i presume some sort of 'for loop' would be best.

Does anyone agree it could be done this way??

Geoff

Goff,

good luck if you can get a script to count the pages as you are describing. PM does not support the totalpage count, which is unfortunate weakness. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

I have done it using scripting. Not too hard....contact me if you need help with this!

Goff

Excuse my appalling ignorance, but just what is using "script" in PM or any other program?

Ted Voelkel

Ted,

A 'script' is a program of sorts, it is a set of commands that will allow you to automate certain parameters, in this case it is a small program that counts the total number of pages and then puts the total on the page with the page number so that the numbering will read: 'page 1 of 345' or whatever he wrote the script to do. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Thanks, that's very helpful. All the time on the web I'll get a dialog box that says "This page does not support certain scripts," etc., with "Line so-and-so" cited. I click the message off, sometimes it refuses to go quietly, but I wonder if most web users get these same "script not supported" messages. I mean, the web page seems to be intact and functioning, with nothing missing. I just have to keep swatting off these "script not supported" dialog boxes like pesky flies. Am I alone in being a honey-pot for these pests? Or do I need to add all kinds of programs/macros/scripts to my software?

Ted Voelkel

Those errors are unrelated to any scripting in pagemaker. Those errors are indicating thatthe web designer is running a script (usually javascript) that your particular browser will not run properly. There is nothing you can do, shy of trying another browser to see if the script works better with it, or just ignoring those messages. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back