Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto or hard coded for 100 Full duplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

iptuser

Technical User
Apr 16, 2003
GB
Has anyone got any views on this for end devices and switch ports?

It depends is the answer unfortunately :eek:(

The general rule is to hard-code infrastrucure ports and anything that is static. Obviously this means all Switch-to-Switch links should be forced at the relevent Speed & Duplex. You would also assume that 'static' devices means Servers etc. Whilst I have seen (and configured) both hard-coded (100/Full) and left them to Auto-Negotiate there are always funny quirks with NIC's. Most Server NIC's (and indeed Cisco MCS Servers) have Intel-based NIC's and these are generally (in my opinion) best left at Auto-Negotiate. I have had odd problems when forcing these NIC's although most people will probably never notice.

We did some performance testing using IPERF a while ago and although IPERF doesn't perform as well under Windows as it does under UNIX/LINUX it is a reasonable tool for soak-testing links etc. We managed to set a 2-way UDP IPERF test between 2 Windows 2000 Workstations; one with an Intel-based 10/100 adapter and one with a 3Com 10/100 PCMCIA card. We got consistent (perfect) results with both cards and switch ports set to Auto Speed and Duplex. When the Intel NIC & Switch port were hard-coded to 100/Full we started to see a small packet loss consistently. We installed the Latest Intel drivers but still saw a small amount of packet loss. With the NIC & switchport reset back to Auto the packet loss stopped.

This was using Cisco Catalyst 6500 series switches in a classic 3-layer design between to access layer switches.

Unless the customer specifically requests Hard-Coding I now leave all Workstation & Server ports set to Auto-Negotiate.

Hope this helps

Andy

Auto-negotiate works best for us as well. We even let switch-switch links negotiate because Ciscoworks complains about link speed/duplex miss matches if we don't. Don't know why...just works that way..
We always code older 10baseT devices to 10/half as they were never meant to(and don't)negotiate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back