Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto number 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrk2

Technical User
Aug 19, 2002
US
I have a table that holds course dates and times. There is an ID coulmn in that table which was originally an autonumber. The ID is the primary key for the table. When I was upgrading a part of the database, I had to remove the automnumber designation from the ID column and changed it to "number". Little did I know, that you cannot change a field with data in it back to autonumber. My thought on this was is there some way to set the default value of a new record to the max "ID" +1 or if anyone knows how I can reinstate the autonumber with keeping the exisitng ID values that would work also.
thanks
mrk

I'm not sure if it's possible at the table level. I played around with it and couldn't come up with anything.

However, you can do it at the form level.

Use the following code in the beforeInsert event of the form

Code:
Dim rs As New Recordset
Set rs = CurrentProject.Connection.Execute _
         ("Select nz(max(NumberField)) + 1 as NewID from table")
If Not rs.EOF Then
    Me.[fieldOnFormforNumberField]= rs!newid
End If

That sounds fine, doing it through the form
Can you walk me though this code a little bit? No experience with it. What exactly needs to be changed to match the fields in my database? Thanks

Dim rs As New Recordset
("Select nz(max(NumberField)) + 1 as NewID from table")
If Not rs.EOF Then
End If

Make sure you have a reference set to ADO using tools => references from the VBA code window

Make sure you have a textbox on your form for the field that is the "AutoNumber" Field. It doesn't have to be visible or enabled. Whatever you've named this textbox will substitute for [fieldOnFormforNumberField]

Whatever you've named the "AutoNumber" field in the table will substitute for NumberField

The name of the table containing the "AutoNumber" field will substitute for table

Everything else stays as is only the red stuff needs substitution

Dim rs As New Recordset
("Select nz(max([NumberField])) + 1 as NewID from table")
If Not rs.EOF Then
End If

Brilliant, works perfectly. Thanks for you help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back