Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto notify

Status
Not open for further replies.

kastaman

IS-IT--Management
Sep 24, 2001
CA
Hi there,

We have a database used for receiving requests to our department. We normally get notification from the users via e-mail that they've sent us a request and we can get flooded by e-mails if there are quite a few new requests.

Is there a simpler way via Access to notify the operator in charge of managing the new requests. Maybe a pop-up or something similar to Outlook where the inbox advises you of the number of "new" mail you've receivedn then the user can click and open the calls according to their status (new, in progress, completed) and priority (high,low).

Any ideas/thoughts are appreciated and the main goal is to simplify the management of the requests.

Thanks in advance,

Kastaman

Do you users have Access on their desktops? You could make a really lightweight front end that inserts records into your database, and then the people who are to respond to the requests could simply view a form displaying the requests.

If you do this, though, you'll immediately have users clammering for the ability to track their requests in that lightweight front end. Might be easy, might be a bear, depending on the process being tracked.

Another thought is to link your database to Outlook (if that's what you're using for e-mail) and run forms based on what's in Access. I don't know too much about doing this, though I use Access to send custom outlook form all the time. But from what I've read, it looks like it's not too difficult to tackle.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
Designing, Developing, and Deploying Access Databases Since 1995

Take a look at the Developer's section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

Mike,

No triggers in Access.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
Designing, Developing, and Deploying Access Databases Since 1995

Take a look at the Developer's section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

A simplified process could be used. Incorporate "posting" of the 'reports' via an Ms Access Bound form, where the Bound recordset is a table of your "reports". With the usual Add | Edit | delete functions, you could use the IsDirty Property (or event in 2K) as a 'trigger' to do other things, such as send a message to a specific user. or to manipulate other variables (or recordsets) which might be monitored via a timer routine (this could be on a form which was only activated when specific Users (or groups which the member was included in) were the currentuser.

I have done something similar, and while I was pleased with the set-up, I had some difficulty in getting the user community to adopt the process. One complaint was that if they had a 'SERIOUS' problem (i.e. hte thinnggyyy crshed) then there was (obviously) no way to use the notification form function to relate the problem. The simple re-start of the app notwithstanding.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

Hi all,

Thanks for your inputs but this might be a little out of my league.

I was thinking of creating a form and subform where the mainform provides the number depending on the status and Dept:
Mainform
Sales:
New - 5
1 - Request #105
2 - Request #106
3 - Request #107
4 - Request #108
5 - Request #109

In-progress - 4
1 - Request #101
2 - Request #102
3 - Request #103
4 - Request #104

Subform
Request #105 Details:
Date of order:
Ordered by:

I'll need for the form to update automatically every 5 minutes. Does anyone have any comments to this idea.

Thanks in advance,

Kastaman

I'm not sure if this is it, but when you start your database go to Tools, Options, then click on the Advanced tab...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back