Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto fill in Word 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PattyH

Technical User
Aug 20, 2002
US
Hi there:
Would love help in Word 2000. I'm not sure what the term is but it will automatically fill in a word or name for you as you type it.

TIA,

Patty

Suppose you want to type:

Sincerely and hugs and kisses,

Patty Hornblower
Executive Vice President
Microsoft Corporation

cc: Bill

Type it into any blank doc. Select it. Hit Insert-Autotext-New. Give it a name like phsig. Then okay. Everytime you type phsig, it'll auto-place the above text. The setting is place in your normal.dot so will only work on your PC.

Hints on autotext:

Give it more than a 3-letter name so you don't have to hit F3 to activate the autotext feature.

Give it a name that's all lower case so it's easier to type.

Give it a name that doesn't spell any other real word or you'll be in big trouble. Anne Troy
Dreamboat@TheWordExpert.com
Anne@MrExcel.com

Hi Anne:
What I want from Word is when I type, for example,

"Terry James" name, I want word to suggest the rest of the name for me and then I just click on it and it fills the rest in for me.

Thanks,
Patty

That's more like an autocomplete. Word doesn't have that feature specifically.

If you see this link about using Word forms, you can use a dropdown box to get that effect, but you might not like the ramifications:

Anne Troy
Dreamboat@TheWordExpert.com
Anne@MrExcel.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back