Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto FE Updater

Status
Not open for further replies.

OceanBlue

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2002
US
I just recently found out about the Auto FE Updater, and wow I was truly amazed. I have everything working but it seems to strip all my permissions that I have set for my users. My .mdw file is in the same folder as the backend. I have the path set correctly in the ini file.

MDWFile=\\rglge9004\Access\BackEnd\Secured.mdw

CommandLine=/wrkgrp "=\\rglge9004\Access\BackEnd\Secured.mdw"

When I click on the shortcut and log in as a user it tells me that I don't have permission to view the forms. So then when I log in as myself, the Admin, and I go into Tools - Security - User and Group Permissions and I click on Groups all the permissions that I had assigned are gone. Anyone that knows about Auto FE Updater have any suggestions?

Hi,

I can't help on the Auto FE uploader, but one question comes to mind - and apologies if this seems obvious, but I know from bitter experience how easy it is to miss the seemingly obvious :) Was your new (replacement) FE db created while you were joined to the \\rglge9004\Access\BackEnd\Secured.mdw?
Also, if this is the granite.ab.ca Auto FE uploader, there is a note on there about odd problems with the .mdw password being deciphered - this might be related, and worth some feedback as they're still fact-finding.

Hope this helps,

Bob.

Bob,

Thanks for the tip. You are right the most obvious tends to be overlooked.

What I did was started over and just split the database. When I split the db I tried to log on with a regular user with limited permissions and it told me that i didn't have persmission to access a table. So by splitting the db I lost the permissions of my tables. I'm guessing that is normal? So I logged in as me and redid the table permissions. So hopefully it's workig correctly now.

Hi,

Did you use the Database Utilities/Database Splitter? When I've split db's I use the manual approach - join to the relevant workgroup file, create a new Backend, import the tables from the unsplit db, delete the tables from the original (which is now the Frontend) and create links to the new Backend tables. After that, you do need to make sure you've got the correct permissions set in both the Backend and Frontend - I assume that's the case if you use the Splitter as well.

Hope this helps,

Bob.

Bob,

At first I was using the Database Splitter. But now instead I did the manual approach and everything seems to be working smoothly now. Thanks for your help :)

OceanBlue:

I just found your post regarding the auto Fe updater & have downloaded it to check it out from
I know I'm missing something simple in the instructions, but no matter how many times I read the directions, I don't get it.

Do you need to create an ini for each fe you want updated?

Thanks,
Connie

Connie,
Do you have separate shortcuts for each front end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back