Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Email Address in Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

travtech

MIS
Jun 11, 2003
US
I have a user that when he goes to type in a email address in a new Outlook message, he wants it to be able to remember an email address that he previously sent and pop up the address (sort of like an autofill) For example, if he wanted to send an email to "joeuser@thiscompany.com" and he started typing "joeu" it would bring up the rest of the email address. I know that my Outlook on my home computer is set to do this by default but for some reason it does not do that here at work. Where is the setting in Outlook to make it do this? I've been looking everywhere and can't find this.

I know it's a pretty dumb thing that is not a big deal if it were me but this guy is in a higher level management position so have to make him happy. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

what versions of outlook do you have at home and at the office? are you talking about outlook or outlook express?

This might vary slightly with different versions of Outlook, but look in Tools, Options, Preferences tab, E-mail Options button, Advanced E-mail Options button, Automatic Name Checking.

Outlook 2000 here at the office, XP at home I believe. This is regular Outlook not Outlook express at both locations. Thanks!

That's what the problem is. I beleive Outlook 2002 has Autocomplete for the names. 2000 does not.

Smah, Mine is turned on here on my PC yet I type in addresses I know I have emailed to and it won't do it for me. Not sure if this guy ever had that capability before or what. Maybe Cwinnyk might have the answer that it won't do that in 2000, I dunno. Personally I don't think it's a big deal but this guy is not happy that everything is not "exactly" like his old laptop was since we just sent him a new one. Guess I'll do some more searching around to see what is up. Thanks!

Think I may have figured it out. Going to set his contact lists first under Services -> Addressing then down where it shows the email lists move his personal contact list to the first slot. We have a really large user base with thousands of remote branches and guessing that on their slower network it would take awhile for it to find a name on our exchange server so if his personal contacts were first it would search those first before looking in the global address list.

Thanks for the help!

Have him type the first few unique characters of the recipients "file as" name. So, if he's got Joe from the Bakery, then he can type Joe (then ctrl+K) and get all the Joe's or bakery (then ctrl+K) and get all the bakerys. When there's only one Joe or one Bakery, it just pops that one in there.

He may want to change the "File as" names to be something meaningful for him...

Anne Troy
Way cool stuff:

Hi, um, if you right click on his contacts list, go to Properties, and then Outlook Address tab, and select Show this Folder as an Email Address Book, it might be what you are after. I have that selected in mine (Outlook XP) and I know that if I create an email and type in only the first few letters of the name, after a moment I get a red wiggly underline on the name. Then I click on the name and it gives me any options from my address book that match it.

For example, if I type in Joe and then wait for the squiggly red line then click on Joe, I can see a list of possible matches including joebloggs@thingummy.com, joesephine@whyworry.com, etc. I can then select the correct one and I don't have to worry about remembering the exact email address. Does this help?

:)

I got the problem fixed. Turns out whoever set up his new laptop forgot to add his contact list to the list to check for address lists in the addressing tab under services. Works fine now. Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back