Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto DL of Microsoft Virtual Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizzVancouver

Technical User
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Hi everybody:

I recently reformated with Windows XP Professional and since then, I cannot play any of the games on MSN Gaming Zone. I am talking about virtual pool games, Collapse, and many other games on the Zone that require "Microsoft Virtual Machine" to play. It stops and tells me I have to download this virtual machine, but when I try to, it says "automatic download of this program is no longer available"!

I have searched for it on Microsoft and Download.com, and a couple of other places, and I have run my MS Windows Update installer, and yet I still cannot open these game programs.

These were some of my fave games, so your advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Lizz

I downloaded a program called SpyBot to help me find and deleted those that have been on my computer. But I can't figure out how to execute it to run. It has various folders etc. I just cannot find the exe. command to allow it to scan.

I also have a popup when I start my computer. It is CNBabe. I was told to go into the registry, and delete it, but it was not located where I was told.

I run Ad-aware and I deleted CNBabe from there. It ended up in my registry. If you can help I would appreciate it.-GREG

Lizz, as you have found out, MS has removed it from the windows automatic update area. But, you can still get it if you know where to look. Go to windows update, select 'Personalize Windows Update'. Check the box for 'Display the link to the Windows Update Catalog' and then the save settings button. Now, select the 'Windows update catalog on the left. Click 'Find updates for windows...'. Pick XP operating system, and advanced search options - containing the word virtual and search. You should find a security update dated March 4, 2002.

Hi SMAH
Thanks for your help. However, it did not work: All I found for March 4 2002 was an update which:

"resolves the "Java Applet Can Redirect Browser Traffic" security vulnerability in the Microsoft virtual machine (Microsoft VM) on Windows XP and Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me), and is discussed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-013. Download now to prevent a maliciously crafted Java program ("applet") from silently re-routing all browser traffic to the applet’s host without the user’s knowledge."

I still cannot play the games. HELP!! ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back