Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Disk wipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

chowland

IS-IT--Management
Aug 18, 2001
US
Hi,
I work for a Computer Rental Company and deal with numerous
computers everyday.
I was wondering if there is a utility that I could put in a batch file that would wipe a HD clean when it comes back off a rental. The quicker the util, the better.

Thanks --Chris

Hi Chris

FORMAT C: works pretty well! But I guess you need to put an op system back on again... Why not have a standard image made with say, POWER QUEST, then you can quickly put back a basic working system and this will automatically wipe out the previous partition(s). A few key keystrokes are required, but it works well.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Hi Roger,
Thanks for replying.
We actually use ghost to put an image on the machines.
Usually when it comes off a rental we put it back on the shelf. When that particualr unit gets rented again we ghost what-ever OS they need onto it and install any extras they want, IE Office, Netscape ect.
Things are looking really good for us on this really large account, how-ever they want the drives wiped when they return the units. I could just put an image like you mentioned on the units or just put the orig OS back on them.
I'm just doing some homework to see if there was a quick and painless way of complying with their needs as well as not adding to much to our prep time.

Thanks again
Chris --Chris

Norton had a 3 times wipe , later amended to 7 times wipe, that your customers should be using before they let the machine out the door.
Foolish practice on their part to leave it up to the honesty of the technicians at the rental company. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thats is true Ed!!
You'd be amazed (or maybe not) at the stuff left on the HD.
I rarely have had a machine come back formatted.
I guess they trust us!!

--Chris --Chris

I agree with Ed. The customer, not you, should be assuming the responsiblity for erasing any sensitive data. Regardless of the erasure method used, I feel it's a burden for your company in both the time it takes to do and in the potential liability if anything were to somehow "leak".

John "Remember you are unique, just like everyone else"

I figured out how to do what I wanted and the answer was in something I already have. We use ghost and it comes with a utility called gdisk. It will unpartition and repartition and format rather quickly. Of course I expanded on it a little. I added some tools to the batch file:
This disk does the following.
1. loads cd drivers in dos - for testin cd's
2. using gdisk, kills the MBR, unpartitions the drive
and repartitions it, then formats it.

3. performs a sys c: to make the hd bootable.
4. virus scans the drive.
5. using the mem.exe, gives readout of memory specs.
6. using chkdsk.exe, gives you a readout of HD spec.

I fit all this on one disk and it took 2 minutes on a 300 mhz machine.
We're still playing with it and will prob modify it some more.
--Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back