Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto disconnect internet connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasonchatham

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2001
GB
I have a client with an NT4 server which has recently decided that it wont disconnect its self from a dial up connection automatically.
If the smtp or pop3 mail connectors use the modem they disconnect after they have sent or after a short period of inactivity.
When a user uses the internet connection via the server it stays connected for hours.
I have noticed that long after the user has logged off (and gone home in some cases) the bytes received is constantly increasing.

That can be caused by an entry in the Registry, there are different entries
for LAN connections and RAS connections:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAN (See also Q138365):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters:
key: "Autodisconnect", the value is defined in minutes.

Note: a value of "-1" disables AutoDisconnect, a value of "0" does NOT
turn it off and results in very fast disconnects within a few seconds of idle time.
(However, the RAS Autodisconnect paramater is turned off if you set it to a value of 0.)

Note: the number of minutes can be set at a command prompt using the
"NET CONFIG SERVER" command.

Example: to disconnect after 30 min:

Net Config Server /autodisconnect:30

To turn off the automatic disconnection, use as value: -1:

Net Config Server /autodisconnect: -1

However, according to MS, it is preferable to modify the Autodisconnect entry
in the registry, since a modification via command-line (as above) may turn off
its autotuning functions (more info in Q128167: Server Service Configuration and Tuning)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RAS (See also Q153944 and Q181431 )
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RemoteAccess\Parameters:
key: "Autodisconnect", the REG_DWORD value is defined in min, default:20.

Right now, you occupy a point where three lines reach across the expanse of time and space and intersect only there, and that you and only you possess.

or simply

Logging off from within a script using Windows NT

You can download the Windows NT Resource Kit Support Tools from Microsoft's Web site at:

Among the many handy utilities included in the support tools, you'll find the Logoff utility. This utility lets you run the command "logoff" from within a batch or script file to log off from Windows NT.

Right now, you occupy a point where three lines reach across the expanse of time and space and intersect only there, and that you and only you possess.

Thanks compgirlfhredi,

I'll check out those registry entries and see what values are set.

Most, if not all the traffic seems to be inbound packets received. Also its only recently been doing this - nearly 5 years installed without trouble!

I thought at first it was a W98 client causing the problem, but the same happens if an NT client accesses the internet through the server.

I connected an XP laptop directly to the same telephone line it didn't receive half as many inbound packets.

I have noticed some issues relating to ISDN lines and timeouts on Technet but I'm not convinced something else isnt to blame.

Only major changes to the network are other non internet accessing clients running NT have been SP6a'd from SP4.
Also AutoCAD 2004 has been installed - now there could be a thing - Autocad has some sought of auto internet upgrade / patch service !

But that would'nt account for inbound info.

The boss there is really peeved with phone bills for 8 hour connections

You have contractors or part-time personnel whose logons must be restricted to hours during which they can be supervised. You use the Hours option in User Manager for Domains to restrict the accounts to 8:00am - 5:00pm. This is a common mistake made by administrators. The Hours option sets the hours for when NT will validate the users account and allow a login. Unfortunately this setting does nothing to prevent the user from staying logged on for however long they wish. They could logon Monday morning and stay logged on until Friday. This setting does not force a logoff at 5:00pm.

To force such a logoff, select the Account Policies menu in User Manager for Domains and set the Forcibly disconnect remote user from server when logon hours expire check box.

This works to break a connection to a server but if you actually want to force a logoff of workstations at a certain time, you can use the freeware Poweroff to schedule a shutdown/reboot/logoff/poweroff at a certain time. It also supports command line options that allows poweroff to be used in batch scripts.

I had the same problem: it was due to free provider i was using (tiscalinet) to access the web. Free access providers like tiscali and wind continuosly send packets through the modem, setting to zero the counter for the auto disconnection. The provider told me that their service doesn't contemplate the auto disconnection option. I changed the provider (now i pay a few euros per year) and everything works fine. So, the problem wasn't caused by NT.

---

Claudio

Claudio

I am still seeing the problem.

The ISP is BT and its a paid for service !

The users can be on Windows 98 or Windows NT OS's and its still only internet browsing that keeps the conection open.

smtp and pop3 mail collection through exchange server 5.5 work OK and disconnect the modem on the server when they are finished.

Thanks

Jason

I also had an e-Mail server and it worked properly like your (connect modem, collect/send mail, disconnect modem): the problem was due only to internet browsing.

Try this:

Dial-Up Networking-->More-->User Preferences-->Dialing-->Idle seconds before hanging up
and
Dial-Up Networking-->More-->Logon Preferences-->Dialing-->Idle seconds before hanging up
should have the same value (i use 120 seconds)

Control panel-->Modems-->Properties-->Connection-->Disconnect a call if idle for more than
set: 2 mins

1. Open a connection from a client;
2. switch-off all clients, only the server must stay on (in this way you are sure that nobody browses Internet)
3. open Dial-up Networking monitor (rasmon.exe) on the server;
4. take a look at the TX and RX lights;

if everything is ok RX and TX lights must stay switched off at least for 120 seconds after which the modem should disconnect.

You can also use Performance monitor selecting RAS port, as object, and Bytes received/Sec as counter: if you receive bytes you'll see a peak on chart.

Note that this is not a solution but only a check that can help you to understand what's going on.
if TX or RX light switches on then you have a starting point: a RX means that the provider sends you bytes (ask him why), a TX that a program or something (may be a virus, why not?) in your server is sending bytes.

Another thing: did you install MS Proxy server?

---

Claudio

Claudio

The Idle times are set OK. I cant remember if its RX or TX thats occuring - I thnk RX - I have contacted my ISP on this they dont care !

Proxy server is installed, the Server is running "Small business server 4.5"

The installation worked OK for 5 years its only in the last 6 months the problem has started.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back