Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

auto detecting a static IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

smuthcrmnl777

Technical User
Jan 16, 2006
US
I use a static IP address for a computer I have on the shop floor. The IP Address for the network jack on the wall will never change. I have to manually type in the IP address for that computer. If that computer should happen to fail and I have to replace it, Is there a way to have the computer understand the IP address, Auto detect does not seem to do the job correctly like manual, either upon boot up or in the network settings?

If you have access to your DHCP server, you can allocate a "Manual" IP address which will tie the IP address to the MAC address of the computer. However, if you change computers or the NIC card (get a new MAC address), you'll have to specify the MAC address again on that IP address.

I am trying to make it so I can replace a computer and have the new computer automatically detect the IP address even though I was told to manually enter the IP address. So what you are saying is I would not be able to do this?

If the computer doesn't break down that often, it won't take long to type in and address that has been written above the socket.

AFAIK, there is no way of automatically working out where a machine is physically.

IP is bound by your network adapter, not by the Cat5 socket. On bootup your card either reads the IP information in from its own registry, or gets the IP address automatically from a DHCP server. Although you can assign IP addresses to switch/router ports, those IP addresses have to do with internal routing and not with routing to an IP host. So you'd either have to a. assign the IP address manually each time, or b. assign it manually in DHCP according to the MAC address. Either way, if you change boxes or NICs you'd have to reconfigure the address.

The only other way, well, as mentioned above....if you bring in a replacement machine, you could swap the NICs over so you are still using the old one. But the question has to be asked. Why do you need to do this. How many times do you need to do this? Why can't it be done manually?

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

And if you are given an IP address to use, presumably that came from your support desk, wouldnt they be involved in replacement machines if necessary

im guessing the static ip is required for wireless sync'ing with some other device or an TCP/IP echo printer, such as a stock system records printerm, or price lable printer. so that it doesn't need to be modified on the devices if they dont have server scannings

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

UKEWildCard - The IP address came from the support desk, but this is an engineering project and it is maintained by engineering until it is ready to maintained by Maintenace or PCTech (Decision has not been made yet).

ncotton - These are industrial computers therefore they are in production and when a computer goes down Maintenance has a computer to replace it. I do not want Maintenance to have to get into the computer and set up the IP address for it everytime a computer goes down. And by the time anyone in IT gets to it it will be a few days to a week before someone finds the time to change this for us. So I need this to be as plug and play as I can make it.

but setting the ip is a 5 second job...why cant it be done on setup?

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

There is a program that sits on top of the Operating System (called SiteKiosk). These computers have a webpage desktop that is blank except hyperlinks to their programs and documentations. In a normal environment, I would agree with you and just type in the IP Address, but this is not a normal environment and it takes much longer and some training.

How about creating a batch file using the netsh command? It could be put as a shortcut on the desktop, on a usb memory stick (who's usage could be controlled), a network share (which could be secured & controlled) or almost anywhere else. It could also be incorporated to run when the machine is booted or something similar if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back