Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto delete new e-mail for ex-employee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2002
CA
I have a user who has left the company, but whose e-mail address still receives a ton of junk mail. I had deleted her mailbox, but then I get the NDRs for all the e-mail she gets. I set up a "garbage e-mail" account with her address on as an alias, then I was going to set up a rule to delete all e-mail to this account, but it comes up as a client side rule, so it will not run unless I log on to the garbage e-mail mailbox. Does anyone have a better way of dealing with this situation?

PS I also tried setting a "accept mail only from" rule on the server side and just adding my own e-mail address, but the NDRs are still being generated stating, "you do not have permission to send to this user", and of course the NDRs are forwarded to me.

Why not reinstate the address and setup an autoreply , stating the user is gone.
Forward all mail to a junkbox with a retention of 1 day and autodelete after 1 day.
That way, legitimate mailers will become aware and you will not have the NDR's. [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC! - Marc
[/sub]

I don't need the autoreply - the user has been gone for several years and still gets a huge volume of garbage.

As far as the autodelete, that is what I am trying to figure out. How do I set up the mailbox to autodelete without having to log in to the mailbox (i.e., server side rule)?

Thanks.

See if your firewall has an SMTP proxy, and a rule to disallow certain incoming emails. That's how I address this problem, I tell the firewall to discard any emails to specific users so it doesn't even enter my Exchange server.

To autodelete, us the Mailbox manager, or you can even use the filters on the mailbox, right on the server in System Manager.

Lander, you can do that, but you 'assume' he has a firewall! [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

marcs41 - whoops, you're right. I would hope that everyone employs at least one firewall (we use two actually).

Please clear some more:
Can you see the user name in AD?
If your answer is 'YES', then you have to disable first her account then purge her mailbox from Exchange.

That's not the problem Jamee, mail still comes in after she was long gone and removed. [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

I do have a firewall, but it is a basic hardware box (we are not a large company). We do not have an SMTP proxy.

I have not used the Mailbox Manager before, I took a quick look at it yesterday but I am obviously going to have to do some reading.

As far as the filters, I am not sure which particular ones you are talking about. Whatever I put in has to not generate an NDR, otherwise it comes to me and that defeats the purpose.

Marc, you are correct on Jamee's comment.

Thanks for all the input so far!

You should filter not to accept mail TO that ex-user. [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back