Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto create printer using UPD on wyse terminal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcjennifer

Technical User
Jul 15, 2008
US
We use Presentation Server 4.5 in a Windows Server 2000/2003 environment with 3 print servers. 1 print server is dedicated to printers attached to a Wyse 1125SE terminal.

Currently, we use policies to create session printers. I want to map some printers to use the UPD which is only accomplished through auto-created printers. I can get this to work fine on a PC when 1) the auto creation policy is applied to that network printer 2) the mapping is added to use the UPD instead of the native driver and 3) the network printer is installed locally on that PC

I want to get some of the Wyse attached network printers to use the UPD as well. Is it possible to get this to work on a Wyse terminal?

hi,
have your Wyse 1125SE the lpd ability ?
If yes, define on each terminal a lpd queue (give a name),
then on the printer server add a printer,
local, add a port, LPR port (if no in the list, add in
windows Component, in Other Network File and Printer server,
Print Servce for Unix), in the host/name address the one of the Wyse terminal and in Name, what you have configured in your wyse lpd queue.
After all, this will be a normal printer shared from a printer server ...

Or no,

bye
vic

We never used to have the LPD tab, but I looked and we do now.

We currently have our wyse printers configured through the Ports tab of the printer configuration page. We select the connection type (LPT or USB), assign a printer name, and check "Enable the printer device" and "Enable LPD service for the printer".

How is LPD printing different and will it make the auto creation process work?

hi,
LPR/LPD is the Protocol/Daemon, used in Unix environment to share from a computer a printer attached via parallel,Jetdirect(port9100), to other computers.

The protocol may be used, both client or server, in Win env.
In Win env, to act as server, you have to start the TCPIP Printer Server; to act as client in the way I showed in 1st post (for both you have install what in 1st post).

In your case, your printer server will be a client
(add a local printer on LPR port), while the server will
be the Wyse Terminal, where you enable LPD (Line Printer Daemon).

When done these 2 things, you see the printer listed in the Printer Server. The way in which Citrix terminal client, sees the printer, is not as a PC local printer: everybody
can see it; the signal does not "tunnel" in ICA protocol,
and you have to use Citrix/Metaframe features to map
a printer (from a printer server, yours) to a User/TerminalName. A value added by this method is that if in an office/room there are more than 1 user, you can assign to all the same printer, seen that the link is not tunneled inside an own ICA session.

ciao
vittorio

I have been looking at this more. I really don't want to mess with the way that I have the printers connected to they Wyse terminals. We had so many problems ironing out the process to get them to work, that I really don't want to switch to LPR.

So - Does anyone know if what I am asking is possible with our current setup as described above? I want to have a printer that is attached to a Wyse terminal (we have it defined on our print server) use the Universal Print Driver. How does this happen when you don't have a local print folder to auto create from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back