Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Attendant question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hofer

IS-IT--Management
May 8, 2002
US
I'm setting up a Lucent partner plus phone system (Plus processor v4.0, Partner mail VS v5.0 2 port card) and am having trouble with the auto attendant.

I have 4 incoming lines and 9 extensions. None of these extensions have voice mail assigned to them. I have 24 voice mail boxes. When someone calls in I want them to be able to choose a voice mail box to leave a message at if noone in the office answers. The phones are for insurance agency reps to come in and use when they're not on appointments. The extension belongs to whomever (of the 24) is using the desk at the time.

My research indicates that there is a piece of hardware called an attendant. First question: do I need this? If not, how do I implement the auto attendant. I can access it (any one of the 4) but can find no way to activate it. I tryed to assign the night functionality to a button but that didn't seem to work. I also tryed programming a button to auto transfer to x777 but couldn't get that to work either. Second question: how do I activate the day or night attendant?

So you don't want the 9 phones assigned to any one person, but you want each of the 24 mailboxes to by assigned to a person that does not have a physical extension? Who will aswer the phones, auto attendant? All 4 lines, 24/7? Chuck Berg
Performance Telecom

chuck@performancetele.com During Hours
me@chucks-web.com After hours

Yes and yes. There are 9 extensions with 4 lines available for general use. They do not belong to any one person (hence, no mailbox associated with an extension. There are 24 mailboxes for insurance agents.

The auto attendant will answer when:

1) the 'night button' is activated or
2) the 'night button' is not activated and noone answers the phone within say 3 or 4 rings.

Hmm, you seem to have a problem here. With a Partner Plus, valid Extension Numbers are from 10 through 33. There's your 24 Mailboxes. But you don't want any of them to belong to the 9 physical phones. So you have eliminated Ext. 10 through 18. You could assign "guest" mailboxes to Ext. 19 through 33, and that would be fine. And although you could create mailboxes from 34 all the way to 57 in the Partner Mail, you can't transfer into them from the Partner Plus. The best you could do is create selector codes in the auto attendant to transfer directly into the mailboxes above 33, but you could only do 6 of them

The auto attendant is turned on by assigning your CO lines to the VM hunt group 7. FEATURE 00, Left Intercom twice, #206 to assign lines for AA. #503 is for the Night service button. Option 3 lets you pick what button. #506, 1 for day and 2 for night, will change the # of rings before the VM system answers. To have the AA only answer at night, #507 then the appropriate line then 1 for day and night, 2 for day only, 3 for night only. I'd say go with the selector code answer and have only 1 mailbox for all the agents to check. Keep in mind there will be no message waiting light to let you know about messages without having mailboxes assigned to specific extensions.. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back