Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto Attendant on our main line number 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

supportpbx

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2009
US
Hi and thank you in advance for any help on the issue that I am having.

It appears that some of the calls coming into our main-line is not being routed to our Auto Attendant. The first call always seems to route to it correctly but then the second calls do not route to Auto Attendant. It just keeps on ringing.

Also, at times, third calls seems to route to the Auto Attendant.

Thank you!

hello. I've finally used a butt-set and confirmed that the call rings to the MDF in our phone closet. It is indeed the second trunk line and TN (7.0.10.0). I can actually answer the call from my butt-set. So in this sense the service is being provided without an issue from our vendor to our MPOE and even to the MDF. It seems that the call is not being pick-up properly by our PBX or Voice mail?

Do you think perhaps I can create/change the send member of the rout 8 and use different TN instead. Only because, I'm thinking that this may solve the issue.

Thank you.

Yes, you can create a new trunk TN and move the wires to it. If all else fails, just dead short the two wires from telco together while you ponder the issue.

At the same time:

Confirm Tip and Ring are not reversed (compare the buttset lamp to other trunks)

Confirm the trunk is still Ground Start (or Loop Start) like the other ones.

In a Ground Start trunk, you cannot just go off hook and get dialtone with your buttset...you need to go off-hook, then quickly touch a grounded wire to the ring/red side of the line. then you will get the dial tone

~~~
[small]GHTROUT.com | Get the Input/Output Manuals | Tek-Tips FAQs | Recent Replies[/small]

Well. Here is what I did for work around. I wasn't srue as to how to actually troubleshoot the bad TN or port. Rather troubleshooting the problematic TN/port, I switched out the TN associated with the 2nd incoming trunk line (one that just kept ringing) with the other TN that was associated with last member of the trunk (other working ones).

Now at leat up to 5 calls are able to connect to our Auto Attendant console. Looking at the ldic print out of incoming line utiliztion, we hardly utilize 2 trunk lines for incoming calls for our main line.

I understand, if we do receive many calls at the same time and if the bad TN associated with the trunk is utilized, that caller's call will just ring... but for now this is all I can do.

Again, thank you for all your support.

Thank you for the feed back. I did confirm that the tunks are ground start as I need to grond the ring/red side to get a dial tone.

I also confirmed that the tip and ring is not reversed.

Finally, how do I dead shot the two wires? and if I do, what happens to the call coming in on that trunk. Would the telco resend the calls to differnt trunk?

Thank you so much for your post.

BTW, I didn't see your last post before I sent out the 27 Jan 09 19:37 post. I didn't expect your response to be so fast!!!
Thank you.

To dead short a trunk, just connect a wire from T to R, in other words, an electrical short circuit across the two wires of the trunk. Then the trunk will just look busy and calls will pass it by. You would also want to disable the TN of that trunk too.

The better choice is to just out the TN, and reprogram it prompt for prompt on a new TN

The best choice is replace the trunk card

~~~
[small]GHTROUT.com | Get the Input/Output Manuals | Tek-Tips FAQs | Recent Replies[/small]

Thank you for your support to the end. This was a fun learning experience for me. Thank you once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back