Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto-accepting Daylight Saving Time windows. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackenk1

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
GB
I have to manage a number of unattended machines running various versions of Windows. They control telemetry attachments which keeps their clocks correct. They have an auto-reboot facility which retarts them after mains failures.
However, after the first mains failure after Daylight Saving Time (DST) has changed the internal clocks, there is a problem.
When the window appears asking for the time to be checked, everything hangs, the users panic, and I have to drive long distances in the middle of the night.
I want to keep DST in Windows.
I do not want to run remote control software such as PCAnywhere for security reasons.
Please, does anyone know how I can stop Windows asking for the time to be checked, after a DST change, without disabling the DST facility in Windows?

To Gargouille
Thank you for that - regrettably, security considerations prevent these machines from being connected to the Internet. I was actually hoping to use some facility within Windows, like the one that enables me to set these machines up to run Scandisk on autorepair, without any external input at all.

mackenk1

Having filed this under those "think about this one" questions, occurred to me that a good UPS, employing the provided software, would enable a machine to automatically
shut down after a short time on power loss, saving its settings.
Seeing, too, that I'm probably complicating my answer, as it occurs to me (here and now) that a batch file run at boot would ideally look for the flag that sets this and enforces the setting. That's probably a workable one!
When I have the time, I'll pursue this further.
Enjoy working on challenging issues!

To gargouille
Yes, that is what I thought. I've found this dinky little Windows batch language called DS32P that I can use. It only runs when it sees the correct window appear, and is really versatile.
(No, I am not involved with its authors at all.)
That is my last resort, I was just hoping that someone had found a switch buried deep within Windows ..... I hate reinventing the wheel. Thank you for your efforts.
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back