Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Authorization issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmBlondel

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2003
FR
Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding SAP authorisations:
- What is the difference between a role and a profile? I always figured out it was the same thing but i am not sure now ...
- Do you know a table that indicates the link Profile -> activity group?

Fyi, we run SAP 4.6c.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Kind regards,

Emmanuel

The difference between role and profile?
When you create a role you have to generate a profile for the role, basiccaly the role is the "nice" packaging for the profile...

The table with the link probably exists...try also with the information sistem for users (t_code SUIM) there you will find some reports about profiles

Bye
Civvi

roles are created through the profile generator, and meant to be used to mirror a business role (ie job like a/r clerk)

history - 3.x versions had only profiles with the ability to build 'composite' profiles (like tying all the profiles under a job title for easy assignment to users}

4.0 version brought the profile generator into the mix (it was in 3.1H but buggy) this brought activitiy groups into the mix where multiple copies of the same profile could exist with variances in the obj values to accommedate multiple plants, sales offices, etc. but the idea of composites went away..

4.6 brought composites back but in the terminology of 'roles' going back to building task profiles and joining them into job roles (I think alot of security admins complained about the loss of composites!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back