Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Authentication Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunter

Programmer
Jan 2, 2001
US
I have a small netowrk with a client the server is NT4.0 and the Terminals are XP.

This is the problem. Authentication to the domain is done by the Server and all is fine with that process. When a user on a terminal running XP try to use ACT! database and window 2000 office in an integrated function I get a denial of service message. It states that a system resource is not availible. Now if the terminal running XP has a user account with administrative privilages on the terminal the error does not occur and the programs integrate smoothly as they should.

If I remove the users name from the local machines user and rely on the NT server for permissions and authitication the error reoccurs.

Shouldnt the server be the sole source of authintication? Is there a trust relationship I can set up so that I dont have to add each individual user to each terminal to get a smooth integration of programs? Why is XP controlling its individual local resources in a domain environment. Why does a user have to be classified as an administrator to get to these services?

Anyone have an easy fix????

Thanks in advance..

Haunter-

You may want to post this issue in the Windows NT 4.0 Server forum. You more likely to get a response from an administrator that has run into this issue. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back