Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Authentication only allowed by IP address 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

force5

ISP
Nov 4, 2004
US
Hello,

we have been using Reporting Services for several months. It is installed on a Microsoft Server 2003 Standard, SQL 2005 <SP3> server. Everything has been running fine until the past month. I haven't been able to pinpoint what caused this issue, but we can no longer authenticate into the Reporting Services using the FQDN ( After several attempts with my domain credentials, it gives us an authentication error. Logging in with the IP Address works fine (Like I mentioned, this used to work with no issues. The only thing that has changed is maybe a few Microsoft updates to the server. Looking at our DNS servers, there are all appropriate records for this server showing the correct IP and FQDN. I could probably create a CNAME record to map a name to the IP, but I really would prefer to get it going the old way for now until we finish getting all of the data in place.
At this point, I am not too concerned at what caused it, but any advice to help me get it working again by FQDN would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

things that make you say Hmmmmm - what a rush of memories

first things first - how close are you to going to SQL 2008? 2008 (no first hand experience) is suppose to not use IE to 'render' the reports... not sure if that will help or not, just something to throw out there - check it out here

now - 2005 is a bit more tricky (I do not do it) but I THINK you do it via a web service (or similar) - in my previous life as a Java programmer I remember reading this and filing it away as a bookmark (thanks Avant and Google desktop for helping me find it for Chad) not only did it explain the authentication that 'normally' goes on, but it also showed me how to intentionally get around it more (or less) like you are doing... amazed that the page is still there over four years later...

concepts especially end of page 1 & page 2 are important for the idea of what is going on... I never got the opportuniny to try this - so ymmv

we are not looking to switch to SQL 2008 until maybe 2010. Our business system is not yet compatible with it.

Thanks for the links jymm, this will give me some reading to do. There's ALOT of good information on the msdn site. I have read several articles and obviously need to read more. I persoanlly learn better when I can learn something from the beginning so that I have a full understanding of the technology AND how it works (and why). But many times, I'm thrown to the wolves and have to fly by the seat of my pants, like I am now with Reporting Services.

You've been a great help...thanks for your patience and your quick replies!!

Chad

Thanks,

Chad
Network Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back