Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Authentication issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

associates

IS-IT--Management
Aug 2, 2005
AU
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out here. I've spent a lot of time trying to get this to work. Basically, what i really want to do is to let more than one user to access to the webserver. I've read the user authentication on the apache website and still couldn't get it right.

What I have done so far is i initially started off with a single user authentication and it worked perfectly. I then decided to move on to the next level that is to let users access. So it says that i have to create a group file. I used a notepad and put in as follows,

Mygroup: richard.parso michael.kim (just for a start)

and saved it as groups (but it automatically saved it in text format .txt which i think might cause the problem)

Then i went to httpd.conf and added in as follows

<Directory "C:/AppServ/www>
AuthType Basic
AuthName "By Invitation Only"
AuthUserFile "c:/passwd/passwords"
AuthGroupFile "c:/passwd/groups"
Require group Mygroup
</Directory>

Then, i restarted my apache. And i got the following error,

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

So, your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Is the above a cut & paste? If so,

<Directory "C:/AppServ/www">

Hi Smah,

yes, it was a cut & paste. Thanks for picking it up. But still the problem is still there. It's still giving me the same error message after restarting the apache.

Thank you in advance

Does the error log give any more clues? Does Apache (or the user apache runs as) have the appropriate permissions for the files & directories referenced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back