Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Authenticate an user in unix from Windows m/c 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johinth

Programmer
Jul 25, 2001
US
How can i authenticate a user in unix from windows machine.
Tell me the possible ways of implementing it.

Thanks in advance
Johinth

well it depends on what service you want this user to have access to , and plus you are not being that descriptive , we cant just imagine what exactly you want , i suggest you be a little more descriptive about what you want to do then you shall get all the help you want

My requirement is

I need to develop Windows NT application which needs authentication.

To authenticate the user it has to check for the user in
windows domain and in unix m/c (NIS Server).

So i need to develop some windows library either in Java or
in C which needs to do that.

Mainly i'm concentrating on NIS. Using NIS i'm able to get all the user details but the password is encrypted. So ii'm not able to proceed

thanks ,
Johinth

Hi Johinth,

A simple way to do it. In your windows application connect to the UNIX m/c using ftp. If you can connect, the password is correct. Telnet would work as well - whatever's easiest from inside your application. Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

You can set a SAMBA server in your Unix machine. It can be set up to validate users against the /etc/passwd files. SAMBA uses the Windows Networking protocols.
I hope it works...
Unix was made by and for smart people.

I have a simple doubt.

can't we do this authentication using NIS?

thanks,
Johinth

I would have expected SAMBA to validate users by whatever method the UNIX server is using, so if NIS or NIS+ is in use on the server it would use that. Is that not the case? Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back