Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Audix No Longer Answering (Voicemail) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typeo

IS-IT--Management
May 29, 2014
US
Hi All,

I recently inherited an Avaya phone system that was originally purchased in 2003. It has been gliding along smoothly up until a couple days ago when the voice mail system just stopped working. Whenever you call into your voice mail (or hit the voice mail button) it just rings and the Audix never picks up to ask for your extension / password.

Any idea what might cause this or how to fix it? I have already rebooted the voice mail system and cant see anything in the logs (I know very little about this phone system and could be looking in the wrong place).

Thanks,
Typeo

When was the last time your Audix was rebooted? There is a known "242" day bug, audix stops answering after that many days.
AVAYA recommends rebooting the audix every 90 days (think of it as every change of "Season"), to avoid the 242 day bug.
try rebooting your audix, chances are that will get it answering calls again.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

I haven't touched that system in years. Listen to Mitch on this one!

Hi Mitch,

I (think) rebooted the system when this first started happening. However, that being said, I might of rebooted the wrong thing, or just did it wrong. To reboot I did the following.

Went into the Audix Administration which is the second selection in the below pic.

JlBVueC.jpg

I then went to choices and selected reset, which can be seen in the below pic.

5H9Tav8.jpg

Then went to Voice-Mail, and then finally restart.. I think the end command was:

reset voice-mail restart

Is that what I needed to do?

Thanks!

Try "Unix Management", there should be a "Shutdown" or "Restart" in shown.
you stopped and started audix, which is often not enough to get it working, the entire platform needs a reboot.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

In unix management, I have the flowing options.

Removable Media Operations
Modem\terminal Administration
Printer Administration
Equinox Administration
RMB Modem Administration
UNIX Date and Time

I went one level deeper in each of these selection and none of them had anything about a reset, shutdown or restart.

Thanks again for all the help!

Ok, I think you had it correct. try "Voice System Administration", then "Reset", then "reboot/shutdown".
you want to see the whole system restart, Unix reload, etc.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

The above restart I talked about was in the Audix administration. The second selection on the main screen (not the one highlighted).

However, in the voice system administration, the following options appear:

ZoT0dBb.jpg

I have searched in these but can not find a restart option in there anywhere.

Is there a easy way to check the last time it has been rebooted?

Is there a way to edit posts or just make new ones?

Anyways,

I did some digging in the Audix administration and went to display administration logs and is looks like there is a re-occurring log that says the following.

Event ID = REBOOTREMINDER
Message - Next Recommended Reboot System Date: 1/15/2013

So... You might be onto something here.. But I am pretty sure I already rebooted it a couple days ago unless, like you said, I just did a partial re-boot.

Try "Customer Service/Administration", there is a reboot/shutdown somewhere in one of those menus :)

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Before I go forward with this, I want to make sure I am in the right location as I did find a restart selection.

Customer Service > System Management > Which then takes me into the system control.. The options in here are:

Display Reboot Information
Reboot System
Shutdown System
Start Voice System
Stop Voice System

What I want to select is Reboot System... Correct?

Yes, reboot, or a shutdown. If you do a shutdown, you'll need to press the power button to turn it back on.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Rebooting now 'crosses fingers'. Will update once its back online.

Thanks again for all your help!

Good news - This seemed to fix the voice mail system.. You guys rock! Seriously, I can not thank you enough.

Bad news - The credentials I was given to log into this system do not seem to work. So.. I am still looking into that.

Thanks again for everybody's help!

Ignore the Bad news section, apparently I was reading the handwriting wrong, but I am now logged in with working voice mail. Again, you all are great!

Glad it's back up, took a bunch of us together to make it happen, remember this; when all else fails REBOOT!!!!!!!!!!!! also a little admin training on the audix might be a good idea going forward. Good luck

acss sme acis sme acss cm 5.2.1 acss cm and cmm acss aura messaging.

Yes, will definitely be looking into some Admin training. On the reboot, I thought I already had, but apparently I just rebooted the Audix system, not the entire system. Either way, I now know that going forward, and I learned a lot of things going through this processes.

Awesome! glad to hear, take care

acss sme acis sme acss cm 5.2.1 acss cm and cmm acss aura messaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back