Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

audit/log root login history and commands

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlaw10

Technical User
Jul 28, 2005
US
I need to follow best practice for logging daily root login activity as well as commands executed as root user. What is the recommended method? We are implementing tighter security on one of our Prod Enterprise Linux boxes.

set | grep -i history
run this command logged in as root and it will show where the linux command line history is being stored for bash shell or kornshell.

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

36 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 26 years and counting

Thanks for the comment. The "set | grep -i history" command lists the history file location and I am able to see the commands within the history file. I need to take it a step further by listing which user runs which commands as root (also timestamps if possible).

If they use sudo, it'll be in /var/log/secure. If they "sudo su -", then you won't see the commands that they run, just that they became root. Once they've su'd to root, the commands are in root's history file, but that won't indicate the user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back