Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AUDIT IN IMPROMPTU

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgradeck

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2002
FR
Hello everybody,

is Somebody with a strong experience with Audit File Processor?

I try to use it but i think it's very slow to integrate data into the database.

Best regards,

I am facing a similar problem with Audit file Processor. It takes a very long time to load the audit data into the database. There are no more than 10 reports run a day. Are we doing anything wrong?

I have created an IMP_AUDIT database in SQL SERVER 7 (whereas using the MS Access database), but the integration data speed is the same as With the MS access database.

Do you folks use the Impromptu Audit Reports. How do you interpret them. I don't understand what the various columns and rows represent. We are looking for audit reports which simply display the quantity of time each user executes a report, i.e., who is running which reports and how often.

What version of IWR are you using? In the earlier versions of IWR6 the auditing didn't work well at all, if ever.
With the latest version 6.1.26, it work just fine and I'm using the sample reports and database that were included. Just follow the directions in the IWR Admin Guide and you shouldn't have a promblem.

Have found that the best time to schedule a download of the files to the audit database is approx 2-4am or when there is minimual any activity on the server.

Chapter 8 of the IWR Administrators Guide explains the reports and database tables and columns. Reports that jpetruc is looking for are included in the samples.

Hi Nascarpilot,

Could you just give some steps on how to go about IWR 7.x auditing.

Can any one give their valuable suggestion pls.

thanks
dwpro.

Hi,

Look in de <install directory>/cognos/cer3/documentation/ag_iwr.pdf chapter 9, here is explained how to set up a connection to the auditdatabase and what the reports represent.

christenhusz

I bypassed the internal audit process as it created extremely verbose output and required a scheduled load of an ascii file into a true RDBMS. Instead I use an attached macro and an ODBC call to insert a single tracking row to a database each time a report is opened, sending the report, catalog, and user name, the row count returned and the execution time. Can anyone using the internal audit process in the current version expound a little on how easy it is to use in the current version?

Regards,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
&quot;Magic with Data&quot;
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Dave,

Is it possible to send the sample macro you are using to load audit data.

The Impromptu File Processor takes too long...............

Thanks

dm21,

Code:
SUB MAIN()

Dim ImpApp As Object
DIM Imprep AS OBJECT
Dim ImpCat As Object
Dim ImpUsr as Object

Dim errors(1 To 3, 1 To 10) as Variant
'Next line uses global variables to build the connect string
DfltCnStr$ =  "DSN="+DSN_NM$+"; UID="+DBUID$+"; PWD="+Mix(CPRPwd,"D")+"; SERVER="+DFLTDB$

On error goto ErrorRtn

Set ImpApp = CreateObject ("CognosImpromptu.Application")

IF NOT ImpApp.DatabaseConnected THEN 
 goto Finish
ELSE
 Set ImpCat = ImpApp.activecatalog 
 Set ImpUsr = ImpCat.activeUserClass
 Set ImpRep = ImpApp.activedocument

P1$= Environ("UNAME")   'Use your local environmental variable for user logon name here.
 P2$=UCase(ImpRep.name)          'Report File Name - no path
 P3$=UCase(ImpRep.title)         'Report Long Name or Comments
 P6$=UCase(ImpRep.path)          'Report Path
 C2$=UCase(ImpCat.filename)      'Catalog full name with path
 C4$=ImpUsr.name          'User Class Name
 strt% = 1
 Do
   position=InStr(strt%,C2$,"\")
   If position=0 then
     Exit Do
   End If
   position=position+1
   strt%=position
   C1$=UCase(Mid(C2$,position))  'Catalog Filename without Path on last pass
 Loop
 k=len(C2$)
 C5$ = UCase(Mid(C2$,1,strt%-1)) 'Catalog Path without Filename

STARTQRY = TIMER
 rcnt = ImpApp.activedocument.retrieveall+1
 ENDQRY = TIMER
 P4x=0.001
 P7=0.001
 DIFF = CSTR(ENDQRY - STARTQRY)
 P4x = P4x + VAL(DIFF)
 P4  = CStr(P4x)
 P5 = CStr(rcnt)
 connection = SQLOpen(DfltCnStr$, outputStr, prompt:=5)
 If connection < 1 Then  
   MsgBox "ODBC Connection Cannot be Established!"
   goto finish
 end if
 Qry1 = "BEGIN ADD_REPORT_HISTORY('"+P1$+"','"+P2$+"','"+P3$+"',"+P4+","+P5+",'"+C1$+"'); END;"
 retcode = SQLExecQuery(connection,Qry1)
 if retcode = -1 then
   SQLError destination:=errors 
   if errors(1,1) <> 0 then
     errmsg$ = errors(1,3)
     msgbox errmsg$,0,"SQL Error!"
     Goto Finish
   end if
 end if  
 goto Finish
END IF

'Finish the routine
'------------------
Finish:
  retcode = SQLClose(connection)
Exit Sub

'Error routine
'-------------
ErrorRtn:
goto Finish

End Sub

Hope this helps you. I use the resulting table in another report and macro to show reports that are NOT in use for a specified period of time.

Regards,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
&quot;Magic with Data&quot;
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

We have audit data turned on, and our data goes directly to an Oracle database (built with the sql provided by Cognos.) Our data updates every hour and we don't really have any problems. (Excluding the bug that eats our schedules occasionally). We have an auditing catalog available thru IWR, so is really easy to look and see who is doing what, when, etc. We also use it to measure performance and audit usage and reclaim unused licenses. I have noticed that while the mapping to the tables in ver 6 was ok, in ver 7 it populates run time into the render field and vice versa.

Dave,

Thanks for the macro. I will look at it.

Cindyw,

Are you not having problem with File processor. My File processor takes two long. In 3 to 4 hours it just loaded 3 to 4 sessions in the database. I am using Sybase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back